Charlieredfish

Stradic 5000 vs 30b King Mackerel

7 posts in this topic

Sharing pic of King Mackerel caught on a Stradic 5000 at pier...king ran about 200 yards, came back and ran out again 100 yards...Stradic performed beyond expectations...20lb braid was used so I had about 300 yards...although the reel is super light weight it has good power...this was really fun to catch...big fish small reel...

IMG_1394.JPG

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

The Stradics are one of the best buys for the price for a light weight all purpose FW and inshore SW reel.

Just keep an eye on the felt drags, too many hard running fish will wear them out. I usually just swap out the felt drags for carbon fiber right off the bat.

13 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

The Stradics are one of the best buys for the price for a light weight all purpose FW and inshore SW reel.

Just keep an eye on the felt drags, too many hard running fish will wear them out. I usually just swap out the felt drags for carbon fiber right off the bat.

Agreed with all this, except the 5000 is the only size that comes with carbon drag washers...I had read about it here on SOL...so I called Shimano and got conformation right from the horse's mouth (sizes 1000-4000 do indeed have the felt drag washers)

1 hour ago, albacized said:

Agreed with all this, except the 5000 is the only size that comes with carbon drag washers...I had read about it here on SOL...so I called Shimano and got conformation right from the horse's mouth (sizes 1000-4000 do indeed have the felt drag washers)

The new ones do comes stock with carbon fiber????? Nice!

I know the previous generation of 5000FJ's had felt washers and I had to swap them out after they all turned to felt dust.

Every so often I hook into some powerful fish on my Stradic 2500FK, it is due for a drag washer swap at this point.