Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mml4

Accurate bearing cups

6 posts in this topic

I have Accurate side plates on a 146 Squidder. The bearing on the clicker side is held in a cup that threads into the side plate from the outside. I want to remove the bearing to service or change it but close inspection shows that the bearing has been cinched into the cup by placing two dimples in the cup. Anybody ever remove a bearing under these circumstances? My bearing removal tool as seen on Al Tani's site (90 degree bend in a small screw driver) has proven unsuccessful. I also tried heating the outside of the cup to no avail.

Any help is appreciated,

Marc  

3 hours ago, handi2 said:

I would be glad to pull them out and put in new bearings but you would have to send them to me in NW Florida.

Keith

Thanks for the offer but I need to learn how to do this myself. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc

Marc I use the Reelspeed bearing pullers. I don’t believe they are making them anymore. Whenever they do grab a set. They are expensive but when your doing it every day its worth it.

you are doing it the right way. You just have to make something to get them out. If all else fails you drill a small hole on the outside of the cap and push them out, then fill the hole. 

Try hydraulic pressure; add tacky grease to the bearing ID and plunge it with a matching (ID) drill bit. Pack with grease, plunge and repeat. Wet tissue paper plunged through ID is another way to skin a cat. ;)