john1234

Go to lure when the fish are just out of reach

48 posts in this topic

What do you clip on when distance is #1 priority? Personally I like epoxy jig type tins or a loaded Cordell pencil.

Metals are the obvious answer (hopkins, kastmaster, DD) but sinking SS Littleneck poppers cast pretty well too.

Does anyone ever combine a heavy diamond jig with a teaser fly? My fall fishing without question always has a blitz 10 yards outside of my reach even with a tin so I was wondering if anyone has found a tin with an exceptionally aerodynamic shape.

Hopkins here too. A diamond jig can cover some distance too providing the conditions make sense. Ss popppers and the yozuri surface cruiser (old style) are two of the best distance plugs i can think of too.

SP Bullets cast a long way for a plug.

Any metal without the aero drag of a tail (AVA) will cast furthest. I like Hopkins when fish are way out there.

Using lighter braid helps but the risk of wind knots increases.

24 mins ago, ridenfish said:

Using lighter braid helps

Forgot to mention this one!  I'll often carry 2 spools when fishing out front, one 30lb braid and one 15 lb braid.  If I have to get an extra 10 yards sometimes I'll switch spools. 

Posted (edited)

for long casts a heavy (but balanced) needle, though i don't generally like stubbies nearly as much; definitely a heavy tin or a sinker with a teaser. 

Edited by rollincoal