tomkaz

Walking Catfish Suicide in Florida

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Went for a walk around the man-made lake in our community and encountered these. All found in an area about 20 yards long, they must have “walked” out of the lake after an overnight shower. Quick draining left them dry before they could find another pond or return to their lake. 

The first one is about 15” long, the rest less than half that length. 

Mass suicide of an invasive Asian species does not make me sad. 

A0F2B119-57BF-4A15-A25D-75D62EAEA971.jpeg.091bab35be6855ec1e2639b1399917c7.jpeg

7ED51A05-DA5D-4C5E-9F6F-47999A5F357F.jpeg.b068b2402a6f94860a781d1f1645f1d5.jpeg

4753AE6D-043B-40B9-9663-C4F6EB57171F.jpeg.f14608a4e99db234c532ab42a924da76.jpeg

C1F71352-135E-463C-A404-874029465740.jpeg.7677d8ad98fb30d7ff6a656377dcabd1.jpeg

FB4440A3-E93B-40CF-B093-051E59F987C3.jpeg.cb9ff7604d2e9aa9c10e26e4b69b7dd9.jpeg

6548A1DA-A5DF-40EB-90C7-47A3AD34ED5E.jpeg.f80dbe1d5a07b2da539cc0d642b6c86e.jpeg

F20D288A-6DF1-4C47-86E6-7B4606FA7238.jpeg

Edited by tomkaz

Tomkaz, bass anglers are pushing to open up bowfishing for peacock bass, they eat to many lmb fry.:howdy:

4 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Tomkaz, bass anglers are pushing to open up bowfishing for peacock bass, they eat to many lmb fry.:howdy:

Fracking invasive! I have been told that the lake nearby was stocked with LMB, bream and some crappie. I have cast enough to feel confident there are no bass around. We do have about a population of cormorants who hang out here which I would like to use as target practice for my suppresssed 22. Hate the damned birds. 

Posted (edited)

11 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Fracking invasives!

I have been told that the lake nearby was stocked with LMB, bream and some crappie. I have cast enough to feel confident there are no bass around. We do have a population of resident cormorants who hang out here which I would like to use as target practice for my suppresssed 22. Hate the damned birds. 

Edited by tomkaz

9 mins ago, tomkaz said:

Fracking invasives!

I have been told that the lake nearby was stocked with LMB, bream and some crappie. I have cast enough to feel confident there are no bass around. We do have a population of resident cormorants who hang out here which I would like to use as target practice for my suppresssed 22. Hate the damned birds. 

Cormorants are awesome fishers, but they are no good for a population of fish. Fish can't hide from them and most freshwater fish are not fast enough to out run them.

Can you believe I actually saw one up here in Western PA eating fish in the Allegheny river! I never realized just how far in land they would come.

they sure can destroy a pond fast.

they leave only the fish that are too big to swallow.

HH

I once heard/read speculation that the fall off in winter flounder stocks was partially due to cormorants eating the young flounder in the bays and estuaries. Anyone know more? 

There are huge flocks of cormorants in Lake Ontario and lakes farther north as well. I read a couple of articles about culls in ,I believe it was North Carolina.

All I can say is 'Have at er boys.Keep passing the shells.

These things will decimate a lake quickly.

14 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Screw LMB...ill take a peacock over largemouth any day.  LMB fight like a burlap sack, peacocks want to dig and fight until you have em in your hand...even then they still thrash.

42 mins ago, BC FD said:

There are huge flocks of cormorants in Lake Ontario and lakes farther north as well. I read a couple of articles about culls in ,I believe it was North Carolina.

All I can say is 'Have at er boys.Keep passing the shells.

These things will decimate a lake quickly.

Frickin' cormorants are protected, no? Wasn't there a massacre years ago on an island that was a rookery for the snakebirds up in the Great Lakes? Hundreds killed via some #6 or 7 shot?

I forget where I read it but the State of North Carolina was involved I believe.

Pretty sure they shot 4 or 5 thousand.

There is a small island just west of the town of Wellington, Ontario in Lake Ontario.

It is called Nicholsons island.

It is covered in cormorant $hit and all the trees are dead.

Can't get near the place for the smell.

Lets have an open season.

They had a season in South Carolina for 2 years in a row on the cormorants.  It got stopped by Audubon or some sort of group. There were thousands killed.  They are back in full force and do not discriminate between game fish and bait fish.

My smaller lake has a Cormorant roost.  Last winter there were 10-15 at night.

This summer they are mostly gone.  Probably cause they ate everything.  

I also have a healthy snakehead population as well.  I saw a cloud of fry a few months ago. They seemed alien like.   And The parents watch over them.

I caught one just last Sunday.  

So the LMB are small.   Peacocks haven’t made their way into the lake yet.   

The carp are large.

22 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Cormorants are awesome fishers, but they are no good for a population of fish. Fish can't hide from them and most freshwater fish are not fast enough to out run them.

Can you believe I actually saw one up here in Western PA eating fish in the Allegheny river! I never realized just how far in land they would come.

Wanna see a F-ton of cormorants? Come to Ohio....they're everywhere you find fish.

2 hours ago, slip n slide said:

Wanna see a F-ton of cormorants? Come to Ohio....they're everywhere you find fish.

I wonder how many "invasive" species have made it from NAmerica to Asia and grabbed a foothold? Meanwhile, we have to deal with:

kudzu

walking catfish

snakeheads

zebra mussels

clown knife fish

wicked smaht valedictorians 

what else?