Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mainiac

What are the odds.

35 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

TBULLDOG: I think you need to understand the different "Peanut Runs".  The estuaries around me have small peanut bunker (pogies) that the bass are feasting upon right now. 

I believe, and hope I'm not screwing up here, that Mainiac is referring to the time when the peanuts, and other migratory baitfish, start dropping out of the estuaries for the open ocean and the trip south.

Hey Roccus, I read in the paper this morning that the lobster fishermen are going to get all the pogies they need for bait this year because of the shortage of herring??  Do you happen to know why there is a shortage of herring this year. Those little Inquiring minds of tomorrow want to know. 

3 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Read all about it...

PPH Maine Herring Fishery

LOL

I read that article

Was hoping you might have had some inside amplifying info on how firm the quotas were held too over the past few years.

I may be conflating herring with pogies info,but I seem to remember that in the past few years there was some herring quota tweaking taking place similar to what they are currently doing with the pogies

Don't sweat it I'll do some research on my own. 

think the offshore folks' ability to catch was reduced when the "fishcrats" severely restricted pair-trawling to protect cod and haddock.  This was a very good thing because pair trawling is the nastiest of trawling methods.  These restrictions caused a significant drop in the offshore catch which has missed the quotas for the past couple of years.  With offshore herring not meeting their quotas, the fishcrats decided to up the inshore quotas so the overall catch numbers stayed the same.  Therefore I agree with you, this smacks of the changes in the pogy quotas the past couple of years.  

On the bright side, it seems that we're still "flying under the radar" in that Omega Protein hasn't sent its fleet up here yet.  That won't happen this year as the daily catch quotas for the rest of the year are geared to the small, bait boats of Maine.  I hope the larger schools of pogies continue to position themselves between us and Virginia so they don't make the trip up here; no sense burning gas to get to Maine if you don't have to.