Dual Sport Bikes

Rate this topic

JaseB

9 hours ago, JaseB said:

I wish!  Rip with the kid but grind a peg on the hard top every once in a while on the curvy country roads we have around here would be ideal.  A 450 sounds like maybe the best compromise.  How are they on the roads?

400-450 class bike will handle real well on road,more than enough damping in suspension,adequate brakes. The tire choice is THE deciding factor on how much on road grip the bike will have.

A dualsport bike is a compromise between a full MX bike and a street bike. It can't excel on both ends but being able to ride(legally) on the street,and be a competent ride off pavement is appealing. The tire selection will determine which the bike is suited to more. There are soft compound DOT knobbies that give very good pavement traction,good in sand,some mud but don't deal with rocks well.  70/30-50/50-20/80 on road/off road tires can be installed according to where and how you ride. 

Some relatively inexpensive,some higher end. Depends on your wallet and how discerning you are and level of performance you desire. 

Don't know if you know how but knowing how to repair/change your own tires will cut maintenance costs considerably. Flat tires are not a matter of if but when.

I have some guys that get tires/tubes changed almost weekly,couple of serious riders drop off several sets for same bike to cover different conditions where they go and weather. One guy might drop off a half dozen,i charge $35 each to change tire/tube/rim strip,rim clamps if needed. Little less for regulars. It adds up.

Some MX tire carcasses are really stiff and worth every penny charged. A fair number of guys that try to change  their own  bring them  to me disgusted 3 tubes into the job sometimes damaging the new tire in the process,for some it IS cheaper to pay someone else to do it.

5 hours ago, Dave588 said:

Older gs650 twin?

Looks like a 1978 XS 650. Really clean,definitely low mile bike. Be a shame to take that off road,wouldn't do that well.  Had a 78 XS 750 triple and a 1980 XS1100,put lots of miles on both,were very dependable,had a fair amount of power,fun to ride. Modern bikes of that size handle much better,and same size engines have a lot more power,pretty much all are fuel injected.

Exactly

The village, which had stood for maybe 1,000 years, didn't know we were coming that day. If they had, they would have run. boB was at the eye of our rage. And through him, our Captain Ahab. He would set things right again. That day, we loved him.