codfish

Seven miles after Sundown, New Canal book

49 posts in this topic

5 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Just fly tying thread liteweight thread.kittery trading post had some kevlar thread but was such a small amount like enough for 2 jigs.and no rod building thread.

You might want to contact Bernie to see where he gets his thread to tie his jigs from If you pull it tight and it breaks find another thread to use . The fly tying thread above might offer some suggestions. I will in the same shoe this winter tying jigs as you , but I have been to busy to chase any thing down.

On August 6, 2018 at 9:42 AM, BrianOC said:

Water goes in, water goes out cast foward! 19.95$ PAYPAL only! 

:laugh:

On 8/6/2018 at 2:25 PM, Angler #1 said:

Codfish, besides the lack of the author doing his due diligence in more then one place and having incorrect information it lacks providing useful information that one may apply to actually fishing the canal . The over all report from those i have let read my signed copy is that the book is boring to say the least.

Perhaps if he does a reprint he can change out and correct items that show a lack of  incite like the one comment  made in the book on when to go Striped Bass fishing and that is to look for the dandelions in bloom . Or the largest fish caught in the canal was not the one he lists among other incorrect statements listed.

My question is why call your self East End what ever and then place a picture of the Railroad bridge on its front cover, which every one clearly knows is on the West end of the canal . 

The author clearly lacks any long time experience fishing the canal and that is from every one that i have been able to speak to  fishing, whom have .  It is very clear that political influences will help him sell this book. We sit in judgement here when folks mention pole numbers , well folks this book broke years of an unwritten writers rule that one never mentions pole numbers when writing about the Big river we all call the Cape Cod Canal . This book goes a long way towards burning some good locations, that in some cases took years for others to learn about from hard work and time .    It is all about the truth of the matter, so one will need to find out for themselves if it is worth the money to purchase it?  For edification purposes What i posted above I also personally told him after he signed my copy , that was given to me by a good friend.

Carl, not for nothing but wasn't it the magazine that you wrote for that published many articles with specific spots and pole numbers years ago. I seem to remember a map with red x's all over it indicating good spots. I've read books from the 70s that mentioned places like Tiny Jims and Pips Rip. Are we now going off the internet to call people spot burners, when that precedent was set many many years ago? 

18 hours ago, bradW said:

Carl, not for nothing but wasn't it the magazine that you wrote for that published many articles with specific spots and pole numbers years ago. I seem to remember a map with red x's all over it indicating good spots. I've read books from the 70s that mentioned places like Tiny Jims and Pips Rip. Are we now going off the internet to call people spot burners, when that precedent was set many many years ago? 

Brad when ever some one was writing about the canal it was understood that pole numbers were not to be used.  That was related to me when I first began to write for the New England  Fishermen. However names like pips murderers row , the steps Blackies hole for example were fine to use. At times maps with the names along with the pole numbers were published by the Army Corp, were included in some articles and most shops reproduced them with there names on it. My original works were often changed by the editor and I was not to happy in some cases, but the editors make the final decisions as to what I wrote. We are only speaking about the Cape Cod Canal, not any of my other writings  I still have a few copies of those from different time in my files, with even the best times to fish each one.  I can not speak for any one else , but given every time some one post just one pole number here and every one jumps all over it as a No No . I have never seen any published book that had so many pole numbers listed in the manner it was in this book with so much detail[20] or so on both sides of the canal . I suppose its all how you look at . things . Comparing what goes on here when this subject is brought up, Makes a comparison small in nature to what is in the book ,as presented.in the way it is. I do not recollect any article Ive written for the Fishermen or On The Water about fishing the Cape Cod canal with any Xs on it. I will go back in my articles on the canal to make sure it was not me , for i can not recall any  CCC article with X's on it. The 1970's was a different time , we did not have the same pressure seen today , we did not have as many poachers as today, we did not have fish committing suicide to come out of the water.  WE did not have those who continue to disrespect the resource along with those who feel they are entitled to do what ever they want . 

Well I am from NJ and have never fished the canal and never will.  Did drive over it a lot on my way to the outer cape before the seals took over..:howdy:

3 mins ago, 27conch said:

Well I am from NJ and have never fished the canal and never will.  Did drive over it a lot on my way to the outer cape before the seals took over..:howdy:

You have a few of your brothers fishing the big river, but if I was still on the beach fishing, I would still find a nice place to set up after dark, with a high low rig with sand eels or single float with  3 or four nice sea worms or walk along with black snakes after the beach gets back open if Only I could, that is what i would do. Look for the fall seals or no seals one can still catch em . Some of my best experience came with folks from your part of the country. Wild Bill Barnum comes to mind the man in the green truck

Last time I was on the outer cape was fishing with Tony just a few months before he came down with Pneumonia.

I haven't been able to bring myself back since his passing..Way to many good memories.

34 mins ago, 27conch said:

Last time I was on the outer cape was fishing with Tony just a few months before he came down with Pneumonia.

I haven't been able to bring myself back since his passing..Way to many good memories.

Time in and on the sand can only be recalled when the footsteps are traced both in the mind and personally. The memories built over time never go away, they just sit in limbo until the right button gets pushed to recall them. It is nice to share the stories my friend.

4 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Brad when ever some one was writing about the canal it was understood that pole numbers were not to be used.  That was related to me when I first began to write for the New England  Fishermen. However names like pips murderers row , the steps Blackies hole for example were fine to use. At times maps with the names along with the pole numbers were published by the Army Corp, were included in some articles and most shops reproduced them with there names on it. My original works were often changed by the editor and I was not to happy in some cases, but the editors make the final decisions as to what I wrote. We are only speaking about the Cape Cod Canal, not any of my other writings  I still have a few copies of those from different time in my files, with even the best times to fish each one.  I can not speak for any one else , but given every time some one post just one pole number here and every one jumps all over it as a No No . I have never seen any published book that had so many pole numbers listed in the manner it was in this book with so much detail[20] or so on both sides of the canal . I suppose its all how you look at . things . Comparing what goes on here when this subject is brought up, Makes a comparison small in nature to what is in the book ,as presented.in the way it is. I do not recollect any article Ive written for the Fishermen or On The Water about fishing the Cape Cod canal with any Xs on it. I will go back in my articles on the canal to make sure it was not me , for i can not recall any  CCC article with X's on it. The 1970's was a different time , we did not have the same pressure seen today , we did not have as many poachers as today, we did not have fish committing suicide to come out of the water.  WE did not have those who continue to disrespect the resource along with those who feel they are entitled to do what ever they want . 

I only mentioned the magazine, not your writings specifically. From my perspective, writings in a book are much different than online. Here people worry about up to the minute info burning a spot to the point where no one can fish in peace. The magazine for years was put through the ringer on this site because of just such things, but that information is very general. I have no problem with a book mentioning spots on the canal because there are no new spots. The up to the minute burns however are a problem, but outside of this site, there is no policing that or putting the genie back in the bottle. 

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 3:49 PM, b-ware said:

….…..

It pisses me off that I was not mentioned...……………

Bernie, I had the same thought.  :(

Over the years that you've fished the canal, you've given not only your time, but your effort, monies and products in promoting the canal fishery.  That is not true for many of the so called legends listed in this book.

Yes, I agree with you, whether by East End Eddy's oversight or by design, he slighted you big time by omitting you from the list. 

4 mins ago, Joe G said:

Bernie, I had the same thought.  :(

Over the years that you've fished the canal, you've given not only your time, but your effort, monies and products in promoting the canal fishery.  That is not true for many of the so called legends listed in this book.

Yes, I agree with you, whether by East End Eddy's oversight or by design, he slighted you big time by omitting you from the list. 

Joe, thank you for the kind words, but what I said about being upset was all in jest.  I, for one, am very comfortable with myself and do not have any issues with my identity.

While I found the book very entertaining and insightful into another persons life I do not believe it was written to be an instructual manuel on fishing the  canal and I also have trouble wrapping my head around certain, self proclaimed expert here who finds fault with Eddies book.

Reading this thread brings back childhood memory’s when dad showed me the way of a hard working fisherman working the canal with eel skins , bottle poppers , hint wood pinkies ,Dacron line ,running the beaches chasin bass day and night , from w,e all the way to Chatham , meeting all the original legends ,  like  j duff , big Floyd, mr Gibbs, just to mention a few, thanks guys I know don’t post much loose lips sinks ships and get ur spot burned, peace,,,,

On 8/6/2018 at 9:40 AM, FoliFish said:

I only buy Canal fishing books written by a NJ authors.

Great book... I know the one you’re talking about. 

On 8/8/2018 at 8:32 PM, bradW said:

I only mentioned the magazine, not your writings specifically. From my perspective, writings in a book are much different than online. Here people worry about up to the minute info burning a spot to the point where no one can fish in peace. The magazine for years was put through the ringer on this site because of just such things, but that information is very general. I have no problem with a book mentioning spots on the canal because there are no new spots. The up to the minute burns however are a problem, but outside of this site, there is no policing that or putting the genie back in the bottle. 

Brad you have made some good points . To be clear to work in pole numbers in the pages of accounts perhaps would not be noticed as much as just printing them all on two pages as a standout item of attention. Such as is in this book. I was unable to find any of my articles that i wrote over many years in regards to the canal with specific pole numbers , but that does not mean I may have done that as well some where else. Generally speaking , even when I began here mentioning pole numbers was a taboo thing to do . Some have at one time or another said that the mention of the canal was a spot burn by itself. It has always been except able here to mention the east west and middle of the canal when ever posting and this has been enforced for many years now by Tim . Spot burning as it is happening should never be allowed to occur, Depending on how much time has elapsed between fish blow ups also has some finer points to be considered as well.   You are correct the genie as I have posted as well is out of the bottle and we will never ever get it back in as the Cape Cod Canal has become a destination place to fish for Striped bass. It makes no difference if it is a book about the canal ,postings on the Internet, reports from the local shops , reports in the local papers the cell phone communication systems . They all will contribute in some manner to providing spot burn information that has and will continue make it less appealing to those of us that have endured many years of searching, learning the different ways to fish the Canal itself. The resource it self is in dire need of some restraints being placed on it for the future of this fishery to sustain itself into the future and to help pass on the traditions to the next generation.

12 hours ago, fishdog13 said:

Reading this thread brings back childhood memory’s when dad showed me the way of a hard working fisherman working the canal with eel skins , bottle poppers , hint wood pinkies ,Dacron line ,running the beaches chasin bass day and night , from w,e all the way to Chatham , meeting all the original legends ,  like  j duff , big Floyd, mr Gibbs, just to mention a few, thanks guys I know don’t post much loose lips sinks ships and get ur spot burned, peace,,,,

fishdog 13 the canal has generated countless legends since its inception back in another time that have all gone on to King Neptune realm . THis post has given me an idea which I will follow up later