Edhsurf31

Century nor’easter vs Kevlar nor’easter

24 posts in this topic

Wondering how different the actions are in these two rods. Is one faster than another? Or is it just a matter of one being more durable. 

Thanks all

tight lines 

Noreaster is heavier and more moderate action.... kevlar can be high sticked and probably one of the, if not the most durable rod on market

On 8/5/2018 at 8:58 PM, Fishy4335 said:

Noreaster is heavier and more moderate action.... kevlar can be high sticked and probably one of the, if not the most durable rod on market

The Kevlar more of a mod/fast? That’s kind of my jam. Fav rod to date has been the XSRA 1205 but looking for something thinner, lighter, more durable. 

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, Edhsurf31 said:

The Kevlar more of a mod/fast? That’s kind of my jam. Fav rod to date has been the XSRA 1205 but looking for something thinner, lighter, more durable. 

Sorry... both rods are modified fast, but since the upper 1/3 or the kevlar has fiberglass in it, it is a bit softer.....You have a budget?

Edited by Fishy4335

I have two Kevlar Nor'easters and I would say they are medium/ fast action particularly the 8 footer. I primarily fish the 8 for schoolies and lighter stuff and the 9' for rigged eels. Great rods.

2 Be honest with you, the nor'easters are very heavy. the feel of the rod and durability are great. If you can afford it, I would go with the century stealth graphene rod. It is the strongest rod known to man, most durable Rod known to man, most sensitive Rod known to man, the lightest Rod known to man , but the most expensive Rod known to man at just shy of $1,000

3 hours ago, Fishy4335 said:

2 Be honest with you, the nor'easters are very heavy. the feel of the rod and durability are great. If you can afford it, I would go with the century stealth graphene rod. It is the strongest rod known to man, most durable Rod known to man, most sensitive Rod known to man, the lightest Rod known to man , but the most expensive Rod known to man at just shy of $1,000

No real budget bc this will most likely be a winter purchase. Plenty time to stow away extra $. The Kevlar sounds nice with that fiberglass in the tip. Tell me more about the graphene. Action similar to the S2? Is there just an 11’ right now? 2-5oz?

2 hours ago, Edhsurf31 said:

No real budget bc this will most likely be a winter purchase. Plenty time to stow away extra $. The Kevlar sounds nice with that fiberglass in the tip. Tell me more about the graphene. Action similar to the S2? Is there just an 11’ right now? 2-5oz?

The stealth graphene is almost half the diameter of the S2. It is a few ounces lighter. Since it has graphene composite built into it it is just slightly crispr then the original S2. I have the 11 foot 1 to 5. I'm getting a 11 foot 1 to 4 built now. Unbelievable rod. There's a lot of different models out. 9 foot 10 ft 11 foot and 12 foot they're all different ratings

6 hours ago, Fishy4335 said:

I have to agree with Fishy about the heaviness of these rods.  I've owned several both plain Nor'Easters and the Kevlar Rockhopper.  I like the feel of the rods in that they load well, work a pencil popper well and have good backbone.  However, I do find they feel very heavy compared to many other rods I have or had such as FSC, Cousins, ODM, CTS, Shimano, Tsunami, etc.  In many ways, both in terms of its weight and the "moderateness", the Nor Easter reminds me most of my GSB 1201L.  The Nor Easter has many fans, and I like it as well.  But like every rod, it has its advantages and disadvantages.  You may be bothered less by the weight than I am. 

In the interests of full disclosure, I will say that I bought a 9' Nor Easter from Fishy to which he added a 10" extension.  Prior to this, I previously owned and sold two other Nor Easter/Kevlar Rockhoppers.  I was hoping the 9' would feel much lighter, but unfortunately, it does not.

I own the 11' nor'easter and the kevlar 9' they are solid blanks and I really love how they load.

I seem to favor the nor'easter over the kevlar but that's just my personal preference. 

The weight has never been an issue for me although I've never fished an ODM or FSC .

I do own the s2 1325 as well and that's probably my favorite and most versatile   

I’ll agree on the heavy feel I planned on buying one and was surprised by the weight nice rods with a great feel though

1 hour ago, Fishy4335 said:

The stealth graphene is almost half the diameter of the S2. It is a few ounces lighter. Since it has graphene composite built into it it is just slightly crispr then the original S2. I have the 11 foot 1 to 5. I'm getting a 11 foot 1 to 4 built now. Unbelievable rod. There's a lot of different models out. 9 foot 10 ft 11 foot and 12 foot they're all different ratings

The regular S2 is already a pretty damn thin blank. I butt section is built up quite a bit but only for a foot or so. I suppose if the graphene doesn't have the butt reinforced like the original maybe that could be sort of true...just for the butt. I've never seen a graphene but I'm going to say that's a pretty ridiculous claim.

50 mins ago, BRossi said:

The regular S2 is already a pretty damn thin blank. I butt section is built up quite a bit but only for a foot or so. I suppose if the graphene doesn't have the butt reinforced like the original maybe that could be sort of true...just for the butt. I've never seen a graphene but I'm going to say that's a pretty ridiculous claim.

Yes near the butt the diameter is pretty much half...... as for the midsection- tip the graphene is about 1/3 smaller in diameter smaller then original s2..... it is almost ridiculous that its rated 5oz how thIn this blank is yes....... first picture is my pinky compared to midsection.... second is my pinky compared to just above butt..... my pinky is small

20180810_170031.jpg

20180810_170105.jpg

Edited by Fishy4335

2 hours ago, nchit said:

I own the 11' nor'easter and the kevlar 9' they are solid blanks and I really love how they load.

I seem to favor the nor'easter over the kevlar but that's just my personal preference. 

The weight has never been an issue for me although I've never fished an ODM or FSC .

I do own the s2 1325 as well and that's probably my favorite and most versatile   

Weight prob wouldn’t be an issue for me either. I’ve fished a lot of lami rods which always seem to be on the heavy side. I like everything I’ve heard about the S2 and would love to see a nor’easter at a local shop. It will be replacing the XSRA I used to fish.. loved that rod. Was 10’ mod/fast 1-5oz.  Goal is to find a century to replace it. Century would be lighter and more durable. The XSRA was amazing but a bit heavy and prone to breakage.