Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jlapenta

Salem Shootout - Tube'N'worm

19 posts in this topic

Tube'N'Worm is the go to technique for day time striper fishing in Salem.  I try to fish them some every year in Jersey, but have had limited success.  My focus this year to improve my proficiency. 
Looking for some input:

• DaTube – Length, color?  Recommended brands?

• How to adjust the tube for best presentation in the water.  How much “twist” to give it?

• Speed.  What speed is best for daytime? 

• Weight. When to fish without any additional weight, when (and how) to add weight. 

• Terminal tackle. Got to avoid twist, right?   So just one good swivel between line and leader? 

• Nighttime:  Does Tube'N'Worm work at night?  Or are we talking eels…If so, what changes for night?

Thx all!!

The tube is not the go too neither are eels. Almost every year the top winners and places for the  NEKF tournament are tossing jig head with big rubber or weightless big rubber.  These are facts. There are mudflats within paddling distance of Winter Island where big weightless rubber and ultra strong hook can get you shots at 40" class, especially at night. Maybe bigger.

There could be a crap load of pogies/bunker. Bring snaggers and a way of transporting a few pogies/bunker if you have too.

Have fun I hope someone from here wins it all.

On 8/5/2018 at 9:15 AM, The Riddler said:

The tube is not the go too neither are eels. Almost every year the top winners and places for the  NEKF tournament are tossing jig head with big rubber or weightless big rubber.  These are facts. There are mudflats within paddling distance of Winter Island where big weightless rubber and ultra strong hook can get you shots at 40" class, especially at night. Maybe bigger.

There could be a crap load of pogies/bunker. Bring snaggers and a way of transporting a few pogies/bunker if you have too.

Have fun I hope someone from here wins it all.

Yo Riddler!

ok, been watching your DIY softbait thread and your comment here basically makes you the qualified person to ask.

have some sluggos among my arsenal, recently bought some Hogy's... 10" and so forth... along with some jig heads.

but so, how does one fish a softbait off a kayak? never done this before and actually never been lucky up in salem myself.

some tips would be great!

thanks in advance,

Al

You are welcome to come fish with me Al on Friday and Saturday night. I don’t do tournaments just enjoy fishing. 

Good thing I checked in, my son doesn't want to go even though I was telling him your kids would be there LOL.  So solo I shall embark and see you there.  

I'm tempted to bring just one single Hobie gear bucket full of tackle this time and KISS.  

Tuco, didn't know you were going there.  Hope to meet you in person.

I think I am going to get bored during the day.  If anyone wants to play some pick up basketball at that nearby court, let me know.

tuco!

thanks for the offer... like rick said, i may go up there to just sleep and eat at the tent... lol...

i'm a lazy angler if anyone can call it that...

i guess im more of a gear aholic than anything else.

just wanted to try something new...

where do you fish?

19 mins ago, kinghong1970 said:

tuco!

thanks for the offer... like rick said, i may go up there to just sleep and eat at the tent... lol...

i'm a lazy angler if anyone can call it that...

i guess im more of a gear aholic than anything else.

just wanted to try something new...

where do you fish?

I am a fat lazy angler too.  

On 8/5/2018 at 9:15 AM, The Riddler said:

Almost every year the top winners and places for the  NEKF tournament are tossing jig head with big rubber or weightless big rubber.

Riddler, when you're fishing the weightless rubbers...are you tip up or tip down? Meaning do you twitch the bait with your rod tip down towards the water (like walking a spook) or are you in a more standard jigging position? 

There isn’t one way to fish plastics. With that being said my rod tip is down.   As soon as you have a hit set it.  Sometimes you have to be fast. I will use the rod and move the reel handle to set.  The reel handle technique I learned from Slappy.  It works!

If I am fishing at night I do not like to twitch the rod to work the bait.  it can be a hard habit to break especially early season.  How I get corrected is others are catching and I am not!  Its time to slow things down. Sometimes you can get aggressive, stop and pause, splash some water even but you can’t go wrong with no rod tip movment and just enough jig weight to swim it along the bottom.  Its like working a needle sometimes.  Doing nothing other than moving it along works.

All my baits are straight bodies like the hogy baits. Believe me there is just enough action on the bait to get bass attention by just swimming it along picking your rod tip up and down too, to go along the contour especially if Bass are glued to the bottom scrounging for crabs and lobsters.

Things change too.  Even with the amount of bunker around in my area we can still get bass to feed  at night. They just seem to be up in the top of the water column and can’t get a fix on the bunker at night but will shadow the bait. Up here in Boston and points north season long bunker is new to us. Sometimes it kills the night bite but  lately it hasn't there is still bass wanting to eat the rubber which is a good thing for me. 

I will say it again and this is probably the last time I will say it....take a standard fish finder and throw it out the window.  If you are a jigger, side imaging  sonar is where its at!

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

I will say it again and this is probably the last time I will say it....take a standard fish finder and throw it out the window.  If you are a jigger, side imaging  sonar is where its at!

I'll bite, which one would you recommend?