maltc

I've been skunked for over a month...Any Suggestions?

66 posts in this topic

Fish 10pm to 5am and you will catch more fish.  That has been my Boston experience.  I usually fish 2 or 3am to 6am.  Areas that are very active then are totally dead all of daylight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

Fish 10pm to 5am and you will catch more fish.  That has been my Boston experience.  I usually fish 2 or 3am to 6am.  Areas that are very active then are totally dead all of daylight.

^^^

yep. he knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ToddyRocks said:

I'd typically avoid fishing at exactly high tide. In a lot of spots there is a loss of tidal action about a half hour before and after each tide. That's "slack water" and can usually be disappointing for most (not all!) fishing. Believe me, the fish are there through all tides, and some spots might even be a "low tide spot". But a good rule of thumb is a little before/after the tide. Not slack water.

 

A lot of times I'll show up 2 or 3 hours before a tide, high or low depending on spot, fish until slack water, then sit down and take a break at slack (unless the fish are still hitting, of course). Stick around and fish the other side of the tide before packing it in.

That's actually really useful- thanks man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

Fish 10pm to 5am and you will catch more fish.  That has been my Boston experience.  I usually fish 2 or 3am to 6am.  Areas that are very active then are totally dead all of daylight.

Ok good to know- I was wondering if fish couldn't even see lures/bait at night. I tried for hours around midnight behind Spaulding in the navy yard but didn't even get a bite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, maltc said:

Ok good to know- I was wondering if fish couldn't even see lures/bait at night. I tried for hours around midnight behind Spaulding in the navy yard but didn't even get a bite. 

Oh they can see them, and feel them. Try darker colors at night. Not a hard and fast rule, but it seems the darker the sky, the darker lures produce better.

 

Sounds backwards to us humans, but we’re not fish.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

took me a full season to catch my first striper from shore on a fly rod. gets a lot easier when you have a kid and could care less about catching fish and are just happy to be out fishing. fish as mush as you possibly can without ruining your work and home life and you will quickly learn where and when to go and what to throw. deer island is actually where I caught my first striper. Oct 2nd. I make an annual trip out there around that date as a tribute. I'll try to remember to shoot you a message when the time comes. i've been skunked the last two years but like i said i don't really worry about catching fish anymore. what really drives me nuts now is when i hook a good fish and lose it. way worse than getting skunked. you can blame a skunk on wind weather whatever, but losing a fish is mostly just your fault. 

 

night time is the right time and reel slower than your slowest retrieve possible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wicked-Fly said:

took me a full season to catch my first striper from shore on a fly rod. gets a lot easier when you have a kid and could care less about catching fish and are just happy to be out fishing. 

 

Ya for sure! I really enjoy fishing even without catches - I obviously need to change things up though! Salt water fishing is tough business from shore for me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this time of year, it's tough for everyone. You aren't alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some years this time of year I find it good to get out the lighter poles and fish for scup or whatever will take a strip of squid from shore. 

Sea robins, whiting/kingfish, can be your target with still having the chance to catch a striper or blue if your fishing with a decent strip of squid.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

iv been hitting the areas youve mentioned lately and was also getting shut down. I started by the dam/ behind assembly and moved up towards spaulding. Best luck i had was snagging a pogie off the dock behind schrafts but even him swimming around didnt get any hits. Then all those pogies died down there and i havnt been back since. Give it 2 week to cool down and start hitting it again. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, gulino12 said:

iv been hitting the areas youve mentioned lately and was also getting shut down. I started by the dam/ behind assembly and moved up towards spaulding. Best luck i had was snagging a pogie off the dock behind schrafts but even him swimming around didnt get any hits. Then all those pogies died down there and i havnt been back since. Give it 2 week to cool down and start hitting it again. 

 

 

Good deal- and yes I also so the pogie apocalypse at the dam. Insane. I’ll try behind spaulding sometime in a few weeks as well as behind scraffs (I live very close)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also a newbie and have been skunked all summer.  I've been feeling less bad about it, though, since I haven't seen anyone else catch anything either.

 

I've been out to Deer Island a couple times and the best I can say is to wear some appropriate footwear on the rocks - they can get really slippery when the air temperature starts falling and the humidity makes everything slick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I normally don't wear korkers at the ditch but last night was as humid as it gets and the rocks were like walking on ice. May have to use the cleats tonite. :hooked:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.