maltc

I've been skunked for over a month...Any Suggestions?

66 posts in this topic

To catch one fish,,,you need many factors to align

right wind

right tide

right temoerature

to ensure the fish are in that area

then you need a fish to be looking to eat and also fooled by your offering. Stars need to align. Very minor things mean major changes.

Try not to get too down, as there are two factors working against you 1) this has been a tough season for shore fisherman overall, and 2) Late July/early August is a bit tougher than the spring and fall because the fish tend to stay in deeper water. 

Your fishing the time of year when things get tough, night time fishing and look for moving or white water, something with some air in it. Now is the time that the water has no oxygen and fish are sluggish. Around mid August you'll see more bait and maybe get a few cool nights to help.

Stay tuned in to what stripers like, they are ambushers not maniacs like bluefish, thus you need to work lures slowly and methodically. And the water cools at night, try before sunrise.  

Go to the Canal. 50 pounders jump right into your truck. If you have a commercial license that is. 

If you just want to bend a rod, try to find some moving water on an outgoing tide, just after high for a couple hours after...early morning, late afternoon. Small minnow plugs across current or floating some seaworms down current is a go-to for some schoolie action. Might even get a nice fish as a surprise.

Appreciate all your insight guys. I haven't really been going at the perfect times as far as tides go- but I just downloaded an app which shows the tide cycles so I'll try to get out there at high tide only. Next time I fish I'll try deer island. If that fails I will head to the canal. The boston area (basically any harbor surrounding charlestown) has been next to impossible. Nahant was no dice either at high tide too. 

Deer Island can be productive, but if you've never been there, note that more than half of the access is from the walkways ABOVE the shoreline rocks.  

There are better spots to fish within a mile or two of Deer Isle that *can* be more productive, as well as a lot more fun to fish, both IMHO.

PM me if you want a few details.

Posted (edited)

Shoot, I just saw that you do not yet have the 15 required posts in order to PM.  

When you do, feel free to PM me.

Edited by Southcoastphil

1 hour ago, maltc said:

.... The boston area (basically any harbor surrounding charlestown) has been next to impossible.  

In spring 2019, keep your eye on this Forum when we begin to chatter about river herring coming in to the river systems to spawn. 

That is the time you want to fish those inner Boston spots you've previously mentioned.

1 hour ago, Joe G said:

In spring 2019, keep your eye on this Forum when we begin to chatter about river herring coming in to the river systems to spawn. 

That is the time you want to fish those inner Boston spots you've previously mentioned.

Will do- I was not into salt water/striper fishing at the time, but I saw schools upon schools of the herring off the charles river esplanade in the spring. They scared off the large mouth bass I usually caught there. 

You should have fished the canal last year, people that were never in a fish market were catching 25 lbrs

1 hour ago, Southcoastphil said:

Shoot, I just saw that you do not yet have the 15 required posts in order to PM.  

When you do, feel free to PM me.

I really appreciate it...I have over 15 posts but am not sure how to send a PM. If you want to shoot me a message that would be awesome. Once again I appreciate everyones advice. 

47 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

I might have misspoken.  It might be 15 posts PLUS one week.

Apologies.

All good! Thanks. 

4 hours ago, maltc said:

Appreciate all your insight guys. I haven't really been going at the perfect times as far as tides go- but I just downloaded an app which shows the tide cycles so I'll try to get out there at high tide only. Next time I fish I'll try deer island. If that fails I will head to the canal. The boston area (basically any harbor surrounding charlestown) has been next to impossible. Nahant was no dice either at high tide too. 

I'd typically avoid fishing at exactly high tide. In a lot of spots there is a loss of tidal action about a half hour before and after each tide. That's "slack water" and can usually be disappointing for most (not all!) fishing. Believe me, the fish are there through all tides, and some spots might even be a "low tide spot". But a good rule of thumb is a little before/after the tide. Not slack water.

A lot of times I'll show up 2 or 3 hours before a tide, high or low depending on spot, fish until slack water, then sit down and take a break at slack (unless the fish are still hitting, of course). Stick around and fish the other side of the tide before packing it in.