maltc

I've been skunked for over a month...Any Suggestions?

66 posts in this topic

I was up in Maine and caught my first striper maybe 2 months ago throwing a rapala off a pier...That was my first salt water catch ever, and I was immediately hooked. 

I got all the gear and have been fishing at least 4 times a week for over a month and haven't had a single bite. I live in Boston, and have tried all boardwalks surrounding Charlestown, I spent 7 hours at Plum Island the other day off the Jeti and surf casting, I've tried Maine.

I've been using a slip sinker with bait, blood worms, mackeral...I've tried lures, fake eels, top water jigs, I mean I just can't believe how much I have tried.

Is the entire Boston area pretty pointless to fish? Am I just attempting in the wrong areas? I hope I can break this cold streak. 

6 mins ago, Matt A. Poisett said:

Your "fishing "

I know the proper reeling techniques and have been quite good when it comes to freshwater...I guess Boston Proper is just futile. 

Learn how to catch SB with some 9" Sluggos (white during the day, black at night).   Throw a leadhead if your fishing deep or run them weightless on top.  Fish them at sunset, sunrise, in the rain and in the darkest of nights.      

That should end your skunk streak.  Good luck.   

One good fish will erase all the recent skunks!! Just keep at it.

My humble advice is to be observant and see what works for other people in your area.

Beach, Boat, Canal, Pier, Jetty.... someone will know (and usually share) helpful tips that will get you into the fish.

If I counted all the times I've been skunked.....I'd probably quit fishing and join a quilting club!! :wee:

7 mins ago, TBYRD said:

I'd probably quit fishing and join a quilting club!! :wee:

I was going to suggest golf.  :why:

I've never fished "Boston Proper", but I have fished in Winthrop.  Winthrop and Revere offer some excellent terrain for striper fishing, with easy access.  (Just be certain to lock your car and not leave anything visible in it.)

There are many folks here who know a helluva lot more than I do about those waters, since I just visit them from time to time, so they are not my home waters.

I urinate around my vehicle evertime I fish,it always seems to keep the skunk away.avoid drinking water as it dilutes tht urine,several cups of coffee works best

4 mins ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

I urinate around my vehicle evertime I fish,it always seems to keep the skunk away.avoid drinking water as it dilutes tht urine,several cups of coffee works best

So YOU are the guy who ticks off all of the residents by urinating in public!!

:wag:

1 hour ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

Did you park at the herring run lot last Sunday night? I think I parked next to you. The urine smell was overwhelming.  :)

Go where others are fishing and do not fish. Just watch. 

After a a few outings, try to duplicate the successful people.

Are you fishing specific times and tides or are you just going whenever?  You should be fishing 2-3 hours on both sides of high tide in most places.

Try soaking chunk bait on one rod while throwing a lure on another.  I prefer pogies over herring or macks but all 3 will work. 

Good Luck