chumfish

Who Has Fished Lake Wallenpaupack?

29 posts in this topic

I've fished it in the past, mostly for perch through the ice. Don't know enough about it to offer any words of wisdom.

Except that in the summer, like every other PA unlimited HP lake, it's just too crowded. The extra hour and a half drive to get to the finger lakes is well worth it in my opinion.  

Oh, many many moons ago .... briefly stocked with stripers. Raystown Lake is supposed to be the Pa. lake to fish for those.

For a while, the state record Brown Trout was a Wallenpaupack fish. A long gone magazine called "Sport Fishing", NOT the current magazine of the same name, reported at length on the catch, and the suspicions of the local wardens that the angler (described as "well known" to the wardens) had gotten it somewhere else. 

I get up there a decent amount for smallmouth. Hard to find a pattern on those fish unless you live up there

yes difficult fishing.  I would rather fish the frisbee golf course at promoton dam. Or go to ham sandwiches house and fish his lake. 

boat is best there in my opinion.  When i go to ham sandwhiches place you can come its  a little south of milford. 

17 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

yes difficult fishing.  I would rather fish the frisbee golf course at promoton dam. Or go to ham sandwiches house and fish his lake. 

Spot burning bitch. :dismay: 

I have, Uncle Ray, but only in the winter. Did get a nice larry of about 5 pounds. At least, I think that was at wallenpaupak. 

caught an absolute beast of a walleye up there in the middle of the day on a rattletrap. probably 12 lbs or so

Somewhat encouraging :laugh: 

My freshwater experience is rather limited.

I did fish another man made lake 30 odd years ago, Possom Kingdom in Texas.

Fished structure with jigs as if I was on the LI sound with great success.

Google pics of Wallenpaupack fish shows some huge striped bass and hybrids as well as monster muskie.

I close on the house next Wednesday.  

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, crazybellringer said:

boat is best there in my opinion.  When i go to ham sandwhiches place you can come its  a little south of milford. 

You guys ever fish twin lakes up there.... my buddy's family had a place on the small lake when we were teenagers... best freshwater  bass fishing I've ever seen

Edited by bigfish4me

10 hours ago, chumfish said:

Google pics of Wallenpaupack fish shows some huge striped bass and hybrids as well as monster muskie.

You getting off git island for good, Ray? 

10 hours ago, chumfish said:

May, June, September are the greatest months up there. No boat traffic, cool nights and great fishing. Theres good pike fishing in any area with grass. Target the river and the feeder creeks for the pike and LMB.

My uncle hired a guide for two days when he first bought his house up there and it paid off with which areas to target and what to throw.

26 mins ago, MikeMc said:

You getting off git island for good, Ray? 

Yes sir. 

There’s a lot to hate on L.I.

People, taxes and traffic have ground my patients to a nub. 

I’ll miss the beach, but trade off is a no brainer.

19 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

May, June, September are the greatest months up there. No boat traffic, cool nights and great fishing. Theres good pike fishing in any area with grass. Target the river and the feeder creeks for the pike and LMB.

My uncle hired a guide for two days when he first bought his house up there and it paid off with which areas to target and what to throw.

I’d consider a decent guide to get me rolling in the right direction. 

I’ve got the rest of my life to figure the rest out, though.