scoobydoo

2019 Penn Spinfisher VI 1 Hour submersion test & results......because....why not

52 posts in this topic

my 3 surf 8k-s are fully waterproof up to 50 meters of depth while cranking

and 60 grams heavier for the amount of gearcase lube that I`ve put into every nook and cranny that they have

6 hours ago, glos said:

my 3 surf 8k-s are fully waterproof up to 50 meters of depth while cranking

and 60 grams heavier for the amount of gearcase lube that I`ve put into every nook and cranny that they have

Okay - so your claim is that you can take a reel, designed for use in ambient air pressure of 14.5psi, fill it with not cement, or even a super dense foam, but 90wt gear case oil, and water at 72psi will not enter the reel?  Are the laws of physics different in you local?

i have mentioned this elsewhere but perhaps it bears repeating here. a member here recommended the use of aquashield grease to seal entry points on a surf reel. i tested it on a river mouth bar (kinda a nasty spot) with my penn ssv 5. in that place with that reel i usually take on about 1/2 a teaspoon or so of water a day. with the aquashield not a drop. scooby has a video on it if anyone is interested...good luck

there you go flatwing, mark d made a good point

and thats why I keep repeating stuff, cause it always gets forgoten

"River mouth bar" no matter how nasty is an entirely different world to your claimed "50 meters of depth while cranking"  . . .

dudes, there is no air left in it

so it might go to a bottom of a mariana trench

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 0:53 PM, Streamdance said:

Thanks for your review!

Is it true, that small and medium sizes now have a cheap plastic rotor?

" A Full Metal Body and sideplate keep the CNC Gear System in precise alignment under heavy loads. "

http://www.pennfishing.com/penn-reels-spinning-reels-penn-spinfisher/penn-spinfisher-vi-spinning/1454457.html

For me a plastic rotor at a Penn Spinfisher is a no-go.

Not true.. We don't use "cheap plastic rotor's" on anything. The rotors in question are not metal, but a very rigid carbon material.

Polymers/carbon (graphite) materials (and mixes of the bunch) now are leaps and bounds above those 10 years ago. Heck, just compare the strength of the Conflict II with an older "plastic" reel and you'll quickly see what I mean.  More than adequate for the drag pressures and stresses on it.

Ben

Posted (edited)

Hello,

some tell it "carbon", others "graphite", but for me it is all the same:

Injection molding plastic. They put some carbon fibers too the plastic to tell it "carbon" or "graphite" reel.

There are hundreds of plastic reels at the market. Now you have another one with a traditional name, known for a metal reel.

Thanks!

Edited by Streamdance

20 mins ago, Streamdance said:

Hello,

Injection molding plastic. They put some carbon fibers too the plastic to tell it "carbon" or "graphite" reel.

There are hundreds of plastic reels at the market. Now you have another one with a traditional name, known for a metal reel.

Thanks!

Not going to argue with you... but to simplify "plastic is plastic, no matter what is in it" is simply wrong on a lot of levels.

Ben

7 mins ago, PENN Fishing said:

Not going to argue with you... but to simplify "plastic is plastic, no matter what is in it" is simply wrong on a lot of levels.

Ben

Y'ever take a look at a sailboat called The Maltese Falcon? It was built, if I recall correctly, entirely of carbon fiber -- and it cost something like $200 million!

There's no doubt that not all non-metallic substances are not created equal.

nice to hear, that these days graphite and similar are not as they used to be in reels

as it should be, with new materials and technologies

maybe its time to start thinking about leakage proof bodies instead of intrusion proof reels

and than recomend or make them from a get go, full of lube..

2 hours ago, Streamdance said:

Hello,

Thanks!

You are wrong to dismiss the plastic vs graphite vs carbon as inferior.

A plastic rotor on any reel not being fished at more than 15lbs really has no effect on anything.  On reels that can actually fish those drags....(I'm not talking about 20lbs of drag in a tiny baitcaster or 20lbs in a stradic 3000)

When has rotor flex on any reel in the past decade on reels under 20 ounces ever caused an issue...

It's also the design of the rotor......The tsunami shield's is made out of 1000000.9999%  metal.

But it flexes.

The glass fiber reinforced plastic on my drills never failed

hell...the majority of the gear boxes on drills are contained in plastic.

And they deal with 10x the pressures just to drill a 1/4 inch hole.

Additionally.....at the sub 200$ price point where the "plastic" rotors are found on this reel.....Look at the competition.

Also look at the penn Torque 1 after it came out....and how they revamped the bail arm to prevent flex.

So I'm willing to bet it is something they look at closely now as a result of spending $$$$ having to retool and the labor to swap parts post retail release.

What are your plans or uses for this reel?

If tuna......guess what....they're metal rotors.

As a Penn hater...I scratch my head when people make mountains out of mole hills.......because PENN

Reels with plastic rotors

Shimano saragossa sw

Shimano Speros sw

Shimano stradic

shimano sustain

shimano stradic ci4

Daiwa bg

Daiwa saltist

Daiwa Saltiga

Daiwa Certate

Daiwa All but the Giant

All metal rotors on all reels.

Twinpower SW

Stella SW

Penn Torque

Slammer 3

Accurate twinspin

Okuma Mak and metalloid

Finor somthinorother

Metal where it matters.....a silly marketing slogan on a crappy overpriced Quantum reel.... Great slogan that applies all over

Metal rotors aren't needed and many times the weight savings of plastic translate into a more connected feel and even less wear on the gears due to less start up inertia

Hello,

my objection is not because of max drag or tuna / shark fishing.

It's because of a long tradition.

The Penn Spinfisher is now a plastic reel like most others are.

Thanks for that!

In my opinion, weight reduction is not the reason for that. It's only because of profit maximization.