MC55

August 2018 Fishing Reports

205 posts in this topic

22 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

how big were the waves?

I'd say it was thigh high. Not much but water was warm and I've been riding a big board this summer.

Skunked last night 530-7pm. Didn't see much bait harassment going on either. Water was a little on the browner side. 

I am new to this community but have been watching the posts for a few months. I fish in CMC mostly the back bays but I have fished out front on occasion. The past few weekends I have fished at night in the back around high tide with very good results using white paddle tails and mister twisters. I have caught and released around 30 striper from 17 to 23 inches, most were between 17 and 20. Most were caught in deep water, around structure and by lights. They were surfacing and I was wondering what bait people thought they were feeding upon.

One thing I learned by night fishing for striper is that they FEED and night and they will eat during the day. I am hooked on night fishing for sure.

27 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

How does one identify rainfish vs spearing unless dead bait is washed up on the shore? Seems quite difficult?

Rainbait are much smaller, usually not too hard to know the difference unless you're far away.

Was out on the Big Mohawk on a club fluke trip. Lots of fun, lots of laughs

Tough bite, Capt Chris worked really hard to put us on fish and did a pretty good job. 

Most everyone had a keeper or two, a few in the choice spots on the boat did better

More keeper sea bass than keeper fluke for me but I got one just over 3lbs, Looking forward to dinner tonight

Pool winner was about 7lbs and there were a few very close to that

3 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Tough bite, Capt Chris worked really hard to put us on fish and did a pretty good job. 

Most everyone had a keeper or two, a few in the choice spots on the boat did better

More keeper sea bass than keeper fluke for me but I got one just over 3lbs, Looking forward to dinner tonight

Can't complain about that. Nice

4 hours ago, Sudsy said:

what was the captains opinion of the fluke fishing? All i hear is sea bass this sea bass that. No blues no fluke just sea bass. 

7 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

How does one identify rainfish vs spearing unless dead bait is washed up on the shore? Seems quite difficult?

With rain fish it looks like a patch of water with a brown/ maroon sort of tint. Also the dimpling of water that gives them their nickname. Looks like it’s raining. Don’t know I’ve ever saw spearing school up tight like that. Usually I see spearing right at your feet but not huge schools.