MC55

August 2018 Fishing Reports

205 posts in this topic

Try to keep other conversations, inquires, and rants in the appropriate threads. If you have a question about something that would make a good thread on it's own, please start one.

For all of you new to the site, this is how you should make your report. It's up to you how much information you give, but please keep it within the rules and no spot-burning or specific locations.

Out front (oceanfront) or In the back (rivers, bays, and inlets),

Conditions

What you were fishing for,

What you were using,

What you caught. 

You can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The location terms to use are..........
Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other waters north of Raritan Bay.
County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays.

Steady SE wind this morning, but water was clean and very little junk around where I was.  Surf was kicking up enough to create some white water, but not a lot of current or rips yet.  Started with the white swimmer, but when the snappers removed the paddle, changed to the bugs.  Starting off the month with 2 and one hitting the tape right at 28 inches.  Got that one on the bugs that I was drifting in the low water trough.  The other was on the plastic that I went back to later in the morning, 21 inches.  No T-storms, just a little rain to accompany the morning  walk.

August 1, 2018  28 inches.JPG

Out front, MoCo, from 7:30-8:45 pm. SSE wind and a slight chop on the water. Nice wave sets, with workable white water. 

Decided to try MC55s bug fishing. I've only done it once, limited, when I was with him. Rigged a six foot rod with 14 lb mono and a circle hook, with a split shot. Dug some bugs and found a nice south to north drift along a lip. Wind was a bit of a problem, but finally adjusted and walked the setup down the lip, letting it drift in the current. Landed three, biggest 24". What I noticed was that these fish are not bulked up, like most of the recent ones I've caught. Also saw the first two calico sheds I've seen all season!

Only setback was getting creamed by a wave when digging the bugs! Gotta keep an eye out in the future. Fun evening.

27 mins ago, nam1969 said:

Also saw the first two calico sheds I've seen all season!

I miss raking

Nothing like a freshly shed calico to tempt a large

Made it out to try for some tog. 5-8pm tide was low when we started and started coming in later on. Tough pickings with only a few nibbles and one landed at 13.25”

MoCo 1900-2100 out front. Wind was fairly strong and the surf was rougher than I expected. Drifted bugs again and had plenty of taps but only managed to land one lil striper and a tiny fluke. Threw a Kettle Creek swimmer and a 2" grub for a bit but nothing on that. Fun day out today but unfortunately back to work tomorrow.

FAF3FFD2-4D87-4217-AA19-D9422300BF99.jpeg

17 hours ago, MC55 said:

Steady SE wind this morning, but water was clean and very little junk around where I was.  Surf was kicking up enough to create some white water, but not a lot of current or rips yet.  Started with the white swimmer, but when the snappers removed the paddle, changed to the bugs.  Starting off the month with 2 and one hitting the tape right at 28 inches.  Got that one on the bugs that I was drifting in the low water trough.  The other was on the plastic that I went back to later in the morning, 21 inches.  No T-storms, just a little rain to accompany the morning  walk.

August 1, 2018  28 inches.JPG

MC,

Very impressive for Aug these days! That's a pretty summer fish for sure!

You've certainly got that bug technique down to a science.

What surprises me is how few fluke you seem to catch. I know you're targeting bass, but I wonder why you catch so few fluke? So many of the fluke I catch are loaded w/ mole crabs. Along w/ all of those pretty summer stripers I keep waiting to see a few nice fatties.

Mike & friends, why do you think you don't catch more fluke using this technique? 

Thanks!

JD

Tried out back cmc yesterday 615-730 pm. Couldn't find any bait in close on the initial search with the wind blowing from the S banks being stirred up so threw the BT for a little bit. Had 1 tap on that then started seeing peanuts get attacked on the move. Went back to the truck and grabbed the cast net, minnow pot, and other setup. Took a minute to find the school again and had to run about 20 yds when i saw them blowing up on the surface. Got my share and live-lined them for a little bit. Only got a 13" doggy and had a few of them stolen from the hook so called it quits. 

Was really surprised at how good the conditions were this morning when I hit the sand.  Low tide, but rolling, clean white water, S to SW wind, and cool water temp. Found a nice rip along a bar and started tossing the white sand eel.  Third cast, fish on.  Continued to walk the sand looking for more spots like that and finished the morning landing 5 along with 3 or 4 other bumps.  Every fish was right at 21 inches and on the fat side.  Snappers were not an issue this morning, thankfully.  Did try the bugs when the tide turned, and had a couple of pick ups, but nothing stayed on the hook.  Current wasn't the best with the wind making it a S to N drift.  Still a good morning.  Just another one of those right place, right time things.

DSCF2330.JPG

6 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Mike & friends, why do you think you don't catch more fluke using this technique? 

Thanks!

JD

Good question.  I do get them on occasion, but just have to think they are not that abundant right now on the beaches.  At least with any size.  I see little ones scurry when walking the wash and watch the ospreys pluck them out for a meal.

10 hours ago, jjdbike said:

MC,

Very impressive for Aug these days! That's a pretty summer fish for sure!

You've certainly got that bug technique down to a science.

What surprises me is how few fluke you seem to catch. I know you're targeting bass, but I wonder why you catch so few fluke? So many of the fluke I catch are loaded w/ mole crabs. Along w/ all of those pretty summer stripers I keep waiting to see a few nice fatties.

Thanks!

JD

Interesting question.

When I used to rake and throw calicos, I would rarely catch a fluke! Don't know if the stripers are quicker to the crabs or not. Fluke are a pretty aggressive species, so I'm not sure that's the answer. We need to consult a fluke whisperer!

4 hours ago, MC55 said:

Good question.  I do get them on occasion, but just have to think they are not that abundant right now on the beaches.  At least with any size.  I see little ones scurry when walking the wash and watch the ospreys pluck them out for a meal.

I've gotten a few keeper fluke on fleas, but the bass definitely outnumber them. I've also not had as many sea robins on fleas and no dogfish until last time out when the doggies  were stacked up at one spot.

53 mins ago, nam1969 said:

Fluke are a pretty aggressive species, so I'm not sure that's the answer. We need to consult a fluke whisperer!

Where’s DoorGunner when we need him?