kross57

A better Hobie warranty for EVERYBODY!

176 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This is just so disgusting.  Trying every angle to weasel and scam money from a legitimate business.  When you purchased your hobie you agreed to their terms.  After you are out of your warranty they do the right thing for you but its not enough.  You create more trouble for them and get more free hand outs.  You feel justified that your "David vs a Goliath". *

 

So now you get your way after months of stubbornness *

 

That company was smaller when it first started.  You see it as an ambiguous Goliath you can weasel money out of, but it started with decent folks who had a passion for kayaking.  Even now your selfish actions grief good folk.  *

Edited by TimS
Please leave the personal crap out of your responses - you are welcome to discuss the topic but your personal insults and name calling aren't welcome here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, bantis said:

This is just so disgusting.  Trying every angle to weasel and scam money from a legitimate business.  When you purchased your hobie you agreed to their terms.  After you are out of your warranty they do the right thing for you but its not enough.  You create more trouble for them and get more free hand outs.  You feel justified that your "David vs a Goliath". *

...and now the whackos come out of the woodwork. Another retail sheister.

 

For your information, the size of the company doesn't matter much. Hobie has 200 employees and an income of $16 million. In comparison, Ocean Kayak has 56 employees with an annual income of $8 million. Yet the Ocean Kayak warranty is lifetime, while the Hobie warranty is 2 years. Do the math. The only people getting scammed here are the Hobie customers.

 

Oh, and by the way, "scum bags" should be one word.  As in "scumbags". :)

 

Edited by TimS
Quote was edited

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

You knew about Hobies warranty at the time of purchase.  Then you act like you were unknowingly blind sided.  It doesn't matter what Ocean Kayak's warranty is at all because its irrelevant to the discussion.

 

You knowingly purchased a kayak with a 2 year warranty.  You knowingly filed a claim outside of the period.  You knowingly abused good customer service *

Edited by TimS
Again with the personal stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bantis said:

You knew about Hobies warranty at the time of purchase.  Then you act like you were unknowingly blind sided.  It doesn't matter what Ocean Kayak's warranty is at all because its irrelevant to the discussion.

 

You knowingly purchased a kayak with a 2 year warranty.  You knowingly filed a claim outside of the period.  You knowingly abused good customer service *

I wish I didn't have to explain this over and over. There is an unlimited Hobie warranty that extends 2 years. Then there is a pro-rated warranty on what Hobie calls "known issues" that lasts out to 5 or 6 years. I was covered under this pro-rated warranty. There are many posts describing this warranty on the Hobie website. 

 

Unfortunately, Hobie has its own ideas about how a pro-rated warranty works. For one thing, the price they charge is made up from thin air. For another, once you pay for this new hull, you are denied a new warranty, even though you paid for it and its brand new. I know people like you might think that's great, ripping off the consumer and all, but from where I sit it is wrong. I don't expect you to agree. Just normal, intelligent people.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only care about facts, so correct me if im wrong.

 

You knew about the 2 year warranty at the time of purchase?

 

You knew you were outside of warranty when you filed your claim?

 

I am not concerned with exceptions to the rule with abnormal hulls, as your hull wasn't defective.  It was simply mistreated.

 

I love the fact you think you won because you got a 1 year extended warranty.  They threw you a bone and you took it like the dog you are.  Your hull wont break within a year.  You'll never even get to use your extended warranty! lmao  Go ahead and try to damage your hull within the 1 year and they will reject it because of improper use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bantis said:

 You see it as an ambiguous Goliath you can weasel money out of, but it started with decent folks who had a passion for kayaking.

You are wrong. It did not start out with decent folks with a passion for yaking, not by a long shot, bud. Started in the 50s building surfboards, switched to catamaran sailboats in the 60s, then to kayaks in the 90s. To me it’s a company going to where the money is, plain and simple. Why only sell surfboards for $700-$1000 when you could build and sell fiberglass sailboats and plastic kayaks for $2000-$5000. If you think having an unwritten warranty that a company accepts at their own discretion is good business practice, you may have a screw loose. The icing on the cake is not warrantying a BRAND NEW hull, the fact that’s it’s a replacement is irrelevant, it’s brand new. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, bantis said:

I only care about facts, so correct me if im wrong.

 

You knew about the 2 year warranty at the time of purchase?

 

You knew you were outside of warranty when you filed your claim?

 

I am not concerned with exceptions to the rule with abnormal hulls, as your hull wasn't defective.  It was simply mistreated.

 

I love the fact you think you won because you got a 1 year extended warranty.  They threw you a bone and you took it like the dog you are.  Your hull wont break within a year.  You'll never even get to use your extended warranty! lmao  Go ahead and try to damage your hull within the 1 year and they will reject it because of improper use.

I only care about facts, so correct me if im wrong.

 

Will do!

 

You knew about the 2 year warranty at the time of purchase?

 

No, I knew about both the 2-year unlimited warranty and the 5 year pro-rated warranty.

 

You knew you were outside of warranty when you filed your claim?

 

No, I knew I was within the pro-rated warranty.

 

I am not concerned with exceptions to the rule with abnormal hulls, as your hull wasn't defective.  It was simply mistreated.

 

No, as Matt Miller, head of warranty wrote, it was a straightforward hull failure due to a crack. That's why it was covered.  

 

I love the fact you think you won because you got a 1 year extended warranty.  They threw you a bone and you took it like the dog you are.  Your hull wont break within a year.  You'll never even get to use your extended warranty! lmao  Go ahead and try to damage your hull within the 1 year and they will reject it because of improper use.

 

No, I actually got a one year extension from Hobie (so far) and a 2 year warranty from my dealer. Way better than when I started. It's not about winning. It's about moving the bar a little higher. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Local24 SSP said:

You are wrong. It did not start out with decent folks with a passion for yaking, not by a long shot, bud. Started in the 50s building surfboards, switched to catamaran sailboats in the 60s, then to kayaks in the 90s. To me it’s a company going to where the money is, plain and simple. Why only sell surfboards for $700-$1000 when you could build and sell fiberglass sailboats and plastic kayaks for $2000-$5000. If you think having an unwritten warranty that a company accepts at their own discretion is good business practice, you may have a screw loose. The icing on the cake is not warrantying a BRAND NEW hull, the fact that’s it’s a replacement is irrelevant, it’s brand new. 

Its a free market bro, take your business somewhere else.  *

Edited by TimS
Again with the personal insults

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, bantis said:

Its a free market bro, take your business somewhere else. *

 

giphy (1).gif

Edited by TimS
quote edited

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kross57 said:

...

But the fact is, a company cannot do something for one customer, and deny it to another. By giving me a one-year extension for this new hull, they are giving everyone who paid for a replacement hull that same one year. It is ridiculous to see it otherwise. I didn't do this for myself. Far from it. I have actually screwed myself as far as Hobie is concerned. From that standpoint it is far better to attack people like me than to BE people like me. 

 

I strongly believe Hobie could care less aout a few signatures on some half-ass petition. But the California AG is someone they need to respond to. However, there is nothing stopping you from doing a sign-on letter. Let me know when it's ready.

...

I think it's just you that Hobie doesn't care about. From their perspective, you're an irregularity, a PIA customer that they need to appease, because it would be more expensive for them to fight your complaint with the AG. You chose to act alone, got what you wanted, and now they hope that you will go away. If you were less selfish and really cared about "the rest of us", you would have started some collective effort. Hobie would indeed care a lot more about a petition signed by 50 (pick a number) kayak fishermen, then a singular one who is blackmailing them with a half-assed AG complaint. Your price was cheap - all it took was a one-year warranty extension that is essentially meaningless for a brand new hull.

 

I have no reason to start a petition, because my 3-year old Hobie is working just fine. I accepted the terms of the warranty when I purchased it, I take care of it, and I have not had any major issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kross57 said:

...and now the whackos come out of the woodwork. Another retail sheister.

 

For your information, the size of the company doesn't matter much. Hobie has 200 employees and an income of $16 million. In comparison, Ocean Kayak has 56 employees with an annual income of $8 million. Yet the Ocean Kayak warranty is lifetime, while the Hobie warranty is 2 years. Do the math. The only people getting scammed here are the Hobie customers.

 

Oh, and by the way, "scum bags" should be one word.  As in "scumbags". :)

 

I resent that. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2018 at 11:38 AM, BillZ said:

They would probably want to see this thread buried & limit its exposure which eventually will happen,  give it time.......

Not gonna happen...not here...we don't bury legitimate, first hand complaint threads...ever. They would need a lawyer to prove to me that this thread violates a specific law. For the record, this site has been threatened by many, many folks and their lawyers over the last 19 years - and ZERO times have they convinced me to hide a thread. 

 

And, to be honest, I think the fact that they have begun a discussion and agreed to warranty his hull as well as everyone else who paid/paying for a replacement hull is a wonderful thing. They could have stood their ground and let this go to court, no?  

 

TimS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 mins ago, TimS said:

Not gonna happen...not here...we don't bury legitimate, first hand complaint threads...ever.

What i really meant by that tim was that eventually this thread will die off & will become just another lost conversation buried on page 1,155...... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, tj7501 said:

I think it's just you that Hobie doesn't care about. From their perspective, you're an irregularity, a PIA customer that they need to appease, because it would be more expensive for them to fight your complaint with the AG. You chose to act alone, got what you wanted, and now they hope that you will go away. If you were less selfish and really cared about "the rest of us", you would have started some collective effort. Hobie would indeed care a lot more about a petition signed by 50 (pick a number) kayak fishermen, then a singular one who is blackmailing them with a half-assed AG complaint. Your price was cheap - all it took was a one-year warranty extension that is essentially meaningless for a brand new hull.

 

I have no reason to start a petition, because my 3-year old Hobie is working just fine. I accepted the terms of the warranty when I purchased it, I take care of it, and I have not had any major issues.

From what I can see, you are content to sit back and let me do the work. Not only that, you have the balls to complain that I should have done it differently. Un-freaking-real.

If I was selfish (like you) this thread wouldn't exist at all.  

 

And for the record, if a 1-year warranty is so meaningless on a brand new hull, then why don't they give it to you? It took a formal complaint and a letter from the AG to get it. Think you can do better? Prove me wrong. Get off your butt and do something besides whine.

Edited by kross57

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 mins ago, TimS said:

And, to be honest, I think the fact that they have begun a discussion and agreed to warranty his hull as well as everyone else who paid/paying for a replacement hull is a wonderful thing. They could have stood their ground and let this go to court, no?  

 

TimS

I believe they recognized how wrong they were. And if they didn't offer something, the AG could have potentially taken them to court. It just sucks that it took this level of action to get them to respond. My emails and calls were not enough. If I lived in California, I'd gladly see them in a courtroom, and I would have gotten a lot more. I guarantee it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.