kross57

A better Hobie warranty for EVERYBODY!

176 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

How does the repairs hold up. Do they seem to not crack the same as the first time or is it still a matter of use and time? 

My repair methodology ensures that they don't crack in the same place ... completely over-engineered, over-thought and over-compensated ... but works :th:

Posted (edited)

32 mins ago, cheech said:

The cracked hull survey should have specified 'original' owner of a Hobie. This thread points out two people owning the same cracked hull, possibly skewing your result.The survey also does not tally cracked hulls sans warranty attempts.

Your making it far more complicated than it needs to be.  All we are trying to do here is find out approximately how many warranty claims have been filed due to cracked hulls to those never cracked, regardless of attempts or being honored or original owner (one reporting per kayak would be nice).   No survey is ever going to be perfect.  This is just meant for a rough perspective.

Edited by CR Yaker

3 hours ago, csteven said:

I put in a claim for the one you bought from me back in '15. Declined. It's an '08 or '09, so I wasn't expecting much, figured it wouldn't hurt to do it anyway.

If they'd have granted you a goodwill contribution, you'd have had to destroy the hull as part of the agreement.  

1 min ago, Africaster said:

If they'd have granted you a goodwill contribution, you'd have had to destroy the hull as part of the agreement.  

Unless you live in a non distributor location, such as I in CR at the time for my 08 Revo.

The poll can be chopped up a million more ways. It could of skipped warranty claims and focused on how people have had cracked hulls, and when they occurred model type, year etc etc etc. 

CR has his poll the way his wants it.

7 mins ago, CR Yaker said:

Unless you live in a non distributor location, such as I in CR at the time for my 08 Revo.

oops, another variation subject to subjectivity ... unfortunately its exactly this type of decision making process (a lack of standardisation) that feeds straight into the OP's argument. When did you file your warranty iro your '08 Revo?

Posted (edited)

46 mins ago, Africaster said:

oops, another variation subject to subjectivity ... unfortunately its exactly this type of decision making process (a lack of standardisation) that feeds straight into the OP's argument. When did you file your warranty iro your '08 Revo?

A known problem with the older non click n go models (cams) especially when adding the newer turbo fins, still small percentage came back to Hobie according to Hobie.  Hobie did extend out their unwritten coverage to these models, often free replacement, newer model up to 5 years.  These models are not counted in the survey.

Warranty hulls are not required to be sent back for destruction in far off locations due to cost of shipping.  Again, Hobie bending over backwards to take care of the customer and only requiring photos for proof.

Is it great customer service to bend the unwritten rules to accommodate the customer or lack of standardized rules?  I'll take flexibility any day over rigidity.

Edited by CR Yaker

1 min ago, CR Yaker said:

A known problem with the older non click n go models.  Hobie did extend out their unwritten coverage to these models, often free replacement, newer model up to 5 years.  These models are not counted in the survey.

OK, so Corey logged a warranty claim on his ‘08/‘09 Outback in ‘15 and was rejected... 6/7 year old hull with a known problem and he got nothing.

So, back to my question that you didn’t answer, when did you lodge your claim with Hobie iro your ‘08 Revo?

Posted (edited)

13 mins ago, Africaster said:

OK, so Corey logged a warranty claim on his ‘08/‘09 Outback in ‘15 and was rejected... 6/7 year old hull with a known problem and he got nothing.

So, back to my question that you didn’t answer, when did you lodge your claim with Hobie iro your ‘08 Revo?

Just within the 5 years in 2013.  I got a 2013 hull free, but paid shipping to Costa Rica.  I was not the original owner of the kayak.  09, click n go, would apply to current rules of course still with Hobie discretion.

Edited by CR Yaker

6 mins ago, CR Yaker said:

Just within the 5 years in 2013.  I got a 2013 hull free, but paid shipping to Costa Rica.  I was not the original owner of the kayak.  09, click n go, would apply to current rules of course still with Hobie discretion.

It was the original cam system, should that have made a difference?

My point is that the decision making process appears to be subjective, if the CS person happens to be having a bad day (or doesn’t like my accent) then my chances of getting some sort of warranty contribution goes out the window, there can be no consistency, hardly seems fair does it? 

Anyway, won’t solve this issue here, so off the the pub, cheers

Posted (edited)

28 mins ago, Africaster said:

It was the original cam system, should that have made a difference?

My point is that the decision making process appears to be subjective, if the CS person happens to be having a bad day (or doesn’t like my accent) then my chances of getting some sort of warranty contribution goes out the window, there can be no consistency, hardly seems fair does it? 

Anyway, won’t solve this issue here, so off the the pub, cheers

Yes, the cam system was not made to sustain the pressures of turbo fins.  A lot of modifications to beef up the new click n go happened in 09.  Since then, Hobie claims their warranty claims have fallen drastically on well cracks.  Which I believe, having owned 5 different Hobies since then and have never experienced this hull crack in this design.

The decision was documented by Hobie in that place I can't talk about back then, even fixes to help beef up those areas prone to such a crack.  lt does pay to be proactive and up on current events, sometimes free upgrades to older models.  Like the recent free new aka locking mechanism on Islands and collar for the mast.

I don't see your beef here, I've never spoken with Hobie, live or on the phone, all email.  Even friends I know of have always had their expectations exceeded by Hobie.  Being proactive and diplomatic does help, I'm sure, as it can with any company I've dealt with.  That being said, nobody would disagree about receiving a better explicit warranty upfront.  But regardless it still pays to be proactive and diplomatic.  

If that is not fair, color me dumbfounded.  

The pub, jealous, being here in the sticks.  Cheers!!

Edited by CR Yaker