kross57

A better Hobie warranty for EVERYBODY!

176 posts in this topic

2 mins ago, Santiago II said:

Why don't you just ask the people who experienced the failures.

It's anecdotal but it's evidence.

See post #147.  

Might make for an interesting survey here?  If possible on this forum.

5 hours ago, tj7501 said:

Not to drag this on further, but I do think that my post #92 was unnecessarily censored, because I was only referring to content in another SOL thread that the OP himself had started, about his own experience on another forum. I'm not a member of that forum and I was not referring to any specific "crap" other than what the OP himself stated below:

I edited half of one sentence, lol. The part I removed is below:

- he was even banned from their forum.

Please explain to me how that isn’t dragging crap from another site to this one? You can’t possibly expect me to know Kross mentioned this in another post somewhere else on the site - there are three or four THOUSAND new posts made here every day. I edited it because your post was dragging crap from another site to this one. Had I seen the post you mentioned from Kross I would have edited that one as well...but please don’t act like I was supposed to know what was said in an entirely different thread who knows how long ago - that is absurd.

TimS

22 mins ago, CR Yaker said:

See post #147.  

Might make for an interesting survey here?  If possible on this forum.

Go for it - try to frame the question in a fair manner and start a poll....it is possible, any member can start a poll here :)

36 mins ago, CR Yaker said:

You don't know that either.  Please link that claim by Hobie.

Would that include claims outside the 2 year written warranty?  We don't know that fact since Matt didn't clarify that.

Matt himself said Hull cracks make up a fraction of a percent of their WARRANTY claims... Their warranty is two years.. This issue happens after two years.. He didnt specify how many "special prorated deals" they have done..

This really isnt rocket science.. They know about the defect.. It happens after 2+ years of use. So they set their warranty accordingly. 

36 mins ago, TimS said:

Go for it - try to frame the question in a fair manner and start a poll....it is possible, any member can start a poll here :)

thanks Tim, done.

1 hour ago, CR Yaker said:

thanks Tim, done.

I have 4 Hobies, 3 with cracked hulls (all repaired and still floating), 0 claims ... can't find that option on your survey?

47 mins ago, Africaster said:

I have 4 Hobies, 3 with cracked hulls (all repaired and still floating), 0 claims ... can't find that option on your survey?

Well, keep this in mind.  I'm just trying to see how close we are from Matt's claims which are being questioned here.  Just out of curiosity, why didn't you ever file a claim?

4 mins ago, CR Yaker said:

Well, keep this in mind.  I'm just trying to see how close we are from Matt's claims which are being questioned here.  Just out of curiosity, why didn't you ever file a claim?

Bought 2 of them as cracked hulls and the 3rd one I just couldn't be bothered as it happened around the 7yo anyway ... I suppose my attitude to what constitutes a reasonable life span is somewhat different ... fixed them and got on with fishing.

48 mins ago, Africaster said:

Bought 2 of them as cracked hulls and the 3rd one I just couldn't be bothered as it happened around the 7yo anyway ... I suppose my attitude to what constitutes a reasonable life span is somewhat different ... fixed them and got on with fishing.

Makes sense

6 hours ago, Africaster said:

Id say that counts as 3 cracked hulls then. Chances are, you dont buy them if they arent cracked, and you own them now.

5 hours ago, CR Yaker said:

Makes sense

11 mins ago, Baitbucket said:

Id say that counts as 3 cracked hulls then. Chances are, you dont buy them if they arent cracked, and you own them now.

That's the thing about statistics, unless there is context, they can be incorrectly interpreted. Yes, they should count as cracked hulls, but not as 3 out of 4 but as 3 out of X ... X being the total number of Hobies owned by myself and the 2 other owners.

On 8/8/2018 at 6:32 PM, kross57 said:

And just to go farther for my fellow Hobie owners, in my follow up response to the AG, I will try to get info on how this applies to other Hobie customers. 

I was going to suggest as part of the settlement/negotiations you can request Hobie list clearer terms on it's warranty details. Depending on your argument, and Hobie's response to the claims it could be considered deceptive marketing on their behalf. AG, DCA, CPSC are all there to service the public, and can provide resolve in these sort of situations. They can tell Hobie to change things, or they can tell kross to kick rocks. Hopefully it works out for Hobie consumers, and makes the company better at the same time.

11 hours ago, Africaster said:

I put in a claim for the one you bought from me back in '15. Declined. It's an '08 or '09, so I wasn't expecting much, figured it wouldn't hurt to do it anyway.

13 hours ago, Africaster said:

How does the repairs hold up. Do they seem to not crack the same as the first time or is it still a matter of use and time? 

The cracked hull survey should have specified 'original' owner of a Hobie. This thread points out two people owning the same cracked hull, possibly skewing your result.The survey also does not tally cracked hulls sans warranty attempts.

Edited by cheech