crowconor

Some flies I tied

30 posts in this topic

I figured I would post a picture of some of the flies I tied up. I am new to salt water fly fishing and new to fly tying, so I would love some feedback if anyone has some. I tried to tie up some of the more popular patterns from what I have read. Sorry for the awful Iphone picture. 
Let me know what ya think.

image1 (1).jpeg

They all look good and will catch. The colors on your Clouser's are inverted though. Typically I want white for the bottom color on Clouser's.

^^^what he said. Clousers ride 'upside down' so that the dumbell eyes ride down with the hook point riding up. Thus you more or less have to tie your dorsal and belly colors in the opposite order than you would for non weighted flies

Don't know what kind of feedback your looking for? Pointers on how to make your flies "better"?

I would suggest that you start from one pattern and build up your basic skills from there and not try multiple things at the same time that require different "techniques" . 

Clousers are a great place to start as they will catch you a lot of fish even if they are not tied to perfection. Take a look at this video by the master himself Bob Clouser. Open it up when you start to tie the fly and follow it step by step.

It is always good to get some constructive criticism and you did. All of those flies will hunt and if you are just starting out then you are well on your way to becoming very adept in your new undertaking.

I will caution you not to go crazy and start tying a whole bunch of new flies. Most tiers fall into that trap and end up with a bunch of flies that will never see water.

Concentrate on proportions and you will be off on and running. I think like most of use you will find that a few patterns of all that you tie will become favorites and go to flies.

You have skills. My suggestion following on from the other suggestions would be to tye up some mainstream Striper patterns.

Lefty Deceivers.

Simple Poppers

Clousers . Ones that look like sand eels. keep eyes small suggest Spirit River size 5/32.

Gurglers

Get decent materials to tye them. For saddle hackles then Bears Den does a quality pack it costs about $16 but worth it as many strung hackles are just total rubbish. You might as well cast a whole chicken out there.

Buy 50 years behind the vice Lefty and Bob Clouser. Best CD I ever purchased.

Good luck you are already doing ok.

Mike

less material= better action,too much is too stiff and doesn't move well

Heh Slip you tye a couple of flies that I can’t tye. Shrimpy flies and this mumichog pattern of yours. I feel under flied when I fish the Cape. I mean I got nothing to fish up on the inside with.

Mike

I thought my clousers looked a little bit "off." Thanks for the feedback. I struggle with proportions that most I think. I'll try to use less material on my next round. I think I am gonna try to tie up some flatwings next. 

Look good.  I haven't tried the dragon tails yet.  On the clousers,  as you'll see if you watch the video, the eyes are too close too the hook eye.  I tied them that way for several years before Bob Clouser did a presentation at my fly fishing club's meeting and after looking at my examples told me I was tying a nice buck tail jig.  The eyes should be a 1/3 the shank length from the hook eye.  And as mentioned they're tied sparsely.

Just be advised the dragon tails don't shed water well and are very heavy to cast.  This was my first year using them and I incorporated into some of my flies trying to imitate american eels.  The end result was a fly with great eel like movement, but casting distance was tough SH casting.  I have caught some nice fish on them this season so I think its a good material, but I ended up only using them on my 12'6" 10 weight with 700 grain skagit head or my 11'2" TH 10 weight with 550 grain head set ups  to throw these things.  I tried them on my 9wt SH rod and had trouble getting longer than 35-40 casts on them and it wore my bad shoulder out to throw them.  I dont have scale on your flies but mine are using the full tail and 12 inches long for total fly length so keep that in mind as if yours are smaller they will have less weight when wet.  

If you are primarily SH casting and trying to imitate baitfish I think you are better off using long hackles in place of the dragon tail as you will get better distance and good movement with those materials.  

I would personally stay off the flatwing until you get your fundamentals right. Clousers and Deceivers would be the best options for a newbie to start with. They will give you two very universal platforms for general profiles that catch fish.  Proportions, taper and material handling are the key points in tying good fishing flies. Get Bob Popovics Fleye Design book. That will give you a great leaning point to learn and master the use of bucktail for example. 

Lots of flies will catch fish, but in the long run flies that have a good taper, right amount of material and good proportions will fish better then the ones that are half way there. A good taper and proportions will also make your flies foul a lot less then the ones that don't have those aspects on them.

On 7/30/2018 at 1:26 AM, jabster said:

I would suggest that you start from one pattern and build up your basic skills from there and not try multiple things at the same time that require different "techniques" . 

Yes.

nice job, clousers are the way to go in many colors and sizes and then maybe some poppers for surface flies.  I can't tell from the image but uv resin is great to use and your flies will last much longer, if you don't want to spend money on that I would get some clear superglue at least.  Clousers come apart easy in my experience if they aren't secured somehow.  Also, I try to use mostly synthetics (but I think i'm in the minority there) and I pretty much stick to olive, chartreuse, pink and white for colors with a little flash.  Just about anything will work but those colors seem to work more often

It looks like your ties will catch , the common thread in all advice I ever received , was to buy quality material , take your time , invest in a few good tying books , attend shows / symposiums , join a club and from someone much more expierenced than I , in most instances less is more . If you can read a newspaper thru certain ties , it’s sparse enough . I have found this to be true , especially when fishing streamers , flat wings & my own hybrid I like to call ‘ kinda sorta flat wings ‘ not your classic flat wing , however they work . Most importantly , enjoy yourself . Bill J