secampb1

night fishing

33 posts in this topic

I know night fishing is the preferred approach by most for stripers in the summer but it just doesn't work typically with my schedule and distance from the beach.  In other words I have never tried fishing past the posted hours on a beach and what I see most often is "sunrise to sunset" on signs.  Does this truly mean that you'll get locked in or kicked out in most places past sunset or am I taking it too literally?  Is it really for swimmers etc?  Obviously guys fish at night all the time but I'm wondering if that is only certain places.

I would be very surprised to see anyone with an officer's badge cruising the beach at the wee hours of night looking for trespassers. Even if hours are posted. Unless it's an owned property, say the amusement park near the boardwalk at the beach, then I'd be less likely to venture out there. 

Maybe not applicable but at my local lake there are hours posted "dawn till dusk", and outside of those hours the state park it is located in is closed. Cars cannot make their way in, but you can still walk in. Fished from dark till 10am several times, never seen a soul besides myself there. It is a wonderfully immersive and personal experience to be on the water without the sun. The surf is even more so. 

Depends. You have to find out the actual reality for your locale.

National Sea Shore on The Cape is closed at night unless you are actively fishing . You can get a free car permit.

Other  places  by using common sense and stealth and respectfullness it is possible to get access to the sea shore. Make no noise leave no foot prints don’t park your car in places where it will draw attention.

Understand the law and your rights.

Mike

Thanks for the input from both of you. This type of info is new to me. For the most part I wouldn't go with the intent to fish at night but I may stay after dark in an evening.

I fish pre sunrise and post sunset in CA and have to agree it is a spectacular experience. I have not fished a graveyard shift yet but that is on my list.     It is a different game.  Have not been locked in yet but it is worth the squeeze...

On 7/29/2018 at 3:02 PM, Mike Oliver said:

Depends. You have to find out the actual reality for your locale.

National Sea Shore on The Cape is closed at night unless you are actively fishing . You can get a free car permit.

Other  places  by using common sense and stealth and respectfullness it is possible to get access to the sea shore. Make no noise leave no foot prints don’t park your car in places where it will draw attention.

Understand the law and your rights.

Mike

...and this is true even in places you are allowed to park, especially the small "landings" around the Cape that are little more than dead ends of residential lanes and roads.  Having a couple of people talking loudly and slamming doors at 2AM can be quite annoying to someone trying to sleep in the house next door.

I suspect, tho, that the most common reason for the dawn-to-dusk signs and rules is to discourage teenagers and like-minded folks from drinking and polluting beaches.

I fished Ogunquit from 7pm to 7am last year we worked the tide in both directions, what amazed me is how fast it went from total dark and silence to false dawn then full on beach activity, its such a small window of time but so worth it if you can make it work.

My two cents is you need to get over any hang ups and figure out how to fish at night.  Most areas I fish don't get good until 2 hours after sunset and are completely dead by the listed sunrise time.  Sometimes I get action outside of that window but its rare.  I suggest you either fish 10pm-1am or 2:30am-5:30am as it hard to deal with lack of sleep so don't pull an all nighter just get a 2 or 3 hour session in the prime window.  

The area closest to my house is a great early season area.  I run into a lot of fly fishermen as I am loading up in parking lot at 5:30-6am to pick up breakfast for family and head home.  They ask how I did and often I have caught several 28-36 inch fish with a picture or two to prove it.  They will get upset and they say "All I ever catch is schoolies here" to which my reply is "Well you are showing up 3 hours to late if you want to catch big fish".  I am sure you have some good spots that produce a lot of schoolies.  Chances are if you fish them around 2am with large 8-12 inch dark flies you might find out there are a lot bigger fish in that area than you ever realized.

Posted (edited)

This message has been preached for a great many years and is mostly ignored.

It takes effort and anything that takes effort does not appeal to the masses.

The fatigue element can be dealt with by simply switching to becoming nocturnal,for a while. Night shift workers have a huge advantage and you might think more would use that but mostly  you see very very few guys fishing after dark and especially all the way through. Now if the wind and rain  are adding to the mix even fewer.

Great shame but there it is.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

The microwave clock in my kitchen after an outing. Very, very AM.

IMG_2437.jpg.ca57f7eaf8395379748eb45e8410209a.jpg

Steve Culton

Steve you must have run out of cigars.

Do you ever lose any of your Charges in the dark of night.

mike

1 hour ago, The Fisherman said:

The microwave clock in my kitchen after an outing. Very, very AM.

IMG_2437.jpg.ca57f7eaf8395379748eb45e8410209a.jpg

Steve Culton

That sounds like a solid nightshift

to me.  I got this 17lb fish at 3:35am and a few smaller ones by subrise back in late May.  Ran into three different fly fishermen that same morning on long walk back to the car and all of them were mind blown fish over 24" get caught in that tidal river.

B48B0670-9262-427F-A010-22A212905EF6.jpeg

Ray Charles sang it: Night time is the right time...

Mike, I ration my cigar supply. Always try to have a spare in case the bugs get bad or I need to celebrate.

Mrs. Culton is an early bird. Many times I'm walking into the house when she's waking up.

Steve Culton