Another DYI flub

Rate this topic

DMacLeod

Well it is time for my trucks inspection and I have the ABS light on.     I took a trip to local  auto repair franchise  and asked what can be done...   "well it usually takes an hour for diagnostics and that is $110 .   I can get you in next week some time, probably looking at $250"

I said I'll think about it.   Going through my tool box I find the scanner I bought a few years ago when my wife's car was acting up so decided to give it a try.     I enter new data for my truck and follow the directions.  Hmm, ABS, push the button and in 30 seconds it tells me the sensor on right front tire isn't communicating.

Go on line to Amazon and have the new sensor and wire in 2 days. (under 30 bucks)

Well today was the day to put it in.  Can't be that hard right ?  Hell I replaced them both on her old Envoy and that was easy.

First off my truck is 12 years old and the underside is rusting pretty good due to the crap they put down on the roads in the winter.

I jack it up and pull the wheel.  Oh crap it is under the rotor.  Spray some PB Blaster and finally get the caliper off.  The rotor comes off easy as I had the brakes done a year ago.

I take the small allen bolt out and wiggle the sensor a little with pliers.   So far so good.  Next I try prying it up with 2 flat screw drivers.........  OH F---.  The old sensor is now broken off and still in hole.

2 hours later and a few curse words and I m getting closer.   What a bitch.   Rust had formed around the old O ring and wouldn't let plug out.

Time to break out the drill and compressor to drill out the rust.   A little compressed air and it popped right out.   

Everything went back together smoothly and light is not on.  

Time for a beer or 3.

fullsizeoutput_10a.jpeg

Cant have an ABS code for inspection?  PA it doesnt matter.  My ABS light has been on for 10 years, wheel sensors was one of the codes the last time I checked.  Your exact issue is why I havent do anything about it.

Edited by DerrickT

15 mins ago, DerrickT said:

Cant have an ABS code for inspection?  PA it doesnt matter.  My ABS light has been on for 10 years, wheel sensors was one of the codes the last time I checked.  Your exact issue is why I havent do anything about it.

ABS light on means failed inspection here.

3 hours ago, DMacLeod said:

Well it is time for my trucks inspection and I have the ABS light on.     I took a trip to local  auto repair franchise  and asked what can be done...   "well it usually takes an hour for diagnostics and that is $110 .   I can get you in next week some time, probably looking at $250"

I said I'll think about it.   Going through my tool box I find the scanner I bought a few years ago when my wife's car was acting up so decided to give it a try.     I enter new data for my truck and follow the directions.  Hmm, ABS, push the button and in 30 seconds it tells me the sensor on right front tire isn't communicating.

Go on line to Amazon and have the new sensor and wire in 2 days. (under 30 bucks)

Well today was the day to put it in.  Can't be that hard right ?  Hell I replaced them both on her old Envoy and that was easy.

First off my truck is 12 years old and the underside is rusting pretty good due to the crap they put down on the roads in the winter.

I jack it up and pull the wheel.  Oh crap it is under the rotor.  Spray some PB Blaster and finally get the caliper off.  The rotor comes off easy as I had the brakes done a year ago.

I take the small allen bolt out and wiggle the sensor a little with pliers.   So far so good.  Next I try prying it up with 2 flat screw drivers.........  OH F---.  The old sensor is now broken off and still in hole.

2 hours later and a few curse words and I m getting closer.   What a bitch.   Rust had formed around the old O ring and wouldn't let plug out.

Time to break out the drill and compressor to drill out the rust.   A little compressed air and it popped right out.   

Everything went back together smoothly and light is not on.  

Time for a beer or 3.

fullsizeoutput_10a.jpeg

New respect for mechanics? I did that crap for 20 years , tough way to make a living .

BLM - Bass Lives Matter 

Race - human like everyone else

1 hour ago, giant basshole said:

New respect for mechanics? I did that crap for 20 years , tough way to make a living .

I've been doing minor things like this on my own vehicles for about 40 years.   

Problem is now it is hard to fund a decent mechanic.  

I had my A/C fixed 2 weeks ago and it took 2 visits.   (this I wouldn't tackle)  Took 2 trips back to get it right. 

3 hours ago, cheech said:

If your up against an inspection disconnect and reconnect your battery just before you go.:cool: And say a prayer!

Cant do thst in NJ, the testing equipment knows you are trying to trick it.  I got around it by driving around the block.  The system needs a certain number of starts and stops or something.  I drove around the block, which meant up 36 to the next jug handle, back around to another jug handle and back to inspection.  It worked.

Light came back on when i got home. 

#otterlivesmatter

2 hours ago, Kings over Queens said:

Cant do thst in NJ, the testing equipment knows you are trying to trick it.  I got around it by driving around the block.  The system needs a certain number of starts and stops or something.  I drove around the block, which meant up 36 to the next jug handle, back around to another jug handle and back to inspection.  It worked.

Light came back on when i got home. 

My truck I clear the code in my driveway, drive to work, and hit the inspection station on the way home. The light has popped on as I was leaving the station. Good for another 2 years. I am due in a month, and hope it works again.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

16 mins ago, dena said:

My truck I clear the code in my driveway, drive to work, and hit the inspection station on the way home. The light has popped on as I was leaving the station. Good for another 2 years. I am due in a month, and hope it works again.

I tried the battery disconnect thing before deciding to replace the sensor.

I didn't make it to the end of the driveway(225') before light came on.  So that was not an option.