Maine Watercraft tax for kayaks, boats

Rate this topic

The last time I bought a kayak this spring at The Kittery Trading Post, I showed my NH driver's license, signed a State form, and did not have to pay the 5.5% sales tax on the kayak. Last night LL Bean in Freeport was the only store where I could find a Pungo 140,  I was taxed $49.45 . I called the store when I got home. No deal, if one buys in Maine, the tax must be charged.            Has this law changed?

Es mejor pescar que ser pescado.

Maine watercraft excise tax on powered boats less than 13 feet is like $6 per year on watercraft used in state waters, so you were charged sales tax which yes, is charged on any purchase you take possession of in Maine.  Had you shipped it to your home, you wouldn't have paid.  

Intrigued as to how KTP finagled that one.  If you picked it up there, they were doing it wrong to your advantage.  

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

KTP has a trick to get around NH customers having to pay sales tax. They have a small office space just over the border in Portsmouth. If you prove you are from NH, they count the sale as being in their NH location.
I bought a shotgun there a couple years ago. With firearms, they actually make you drive to their office location, sign the final papers and pick up the gun there.