Rod Transport Help

Rate this topic

fatbikerjoe

Here is my problem.  Most of the surf fishing I do coincides with camping.  We have a motorhome so I usually transport or keep some rods in the back storage compartment which is the width of the motorhome (about 8.5ft)  For a few years now I've been using this really long Field and Stream bag to transport the rods and it works well at keeping them in good shape but as the number of rods I bring has grown (kids), the rods are getting a little beat up and scratched.  I don't expect to keep everything in perfectly new condition but I would like to prevent excess wear.  I have a few options.  1.  Keep going with the bag setup that I have and use those neoprene reel bags to wrap the reels.  2.  Use a rod sock but I can only find socks that will fit smaller poles (freshwater oriented).  Does anyone make a surf stick rod sock?  Kastking are you listening!!!  3.  Take the reel off the rod and store them in a hard shell box (like a pelican case) then transport the rods in a tube like a bazooka or Plano soft tube.  I am partial to the sock idea but I would need the sock to slip over both pole pieces and then wrap the reel in a neoprene case.  I cannot transport the rods outside the vehicle.  Rods are all two piece from 6' (kids rods),or  9-11ft.  Really want a rod sock.

• 3 weeks later...

Update.  I ordered a few Rod Sox XL, they unfortunately were not big enough.  I got some others off Amazon that worked better and were about the same price.  It's still not what I really want.  I need some sort of a canvas or even a nylon bag that will hold a broken down two piece rod and prevent it from scratching.  I can take the reels off but I would rather wrap them each up in a neoprene bag.  There's some other options out there that I might try.  I cannot believe that nobody makes a product like this......

Yes, there is, or was, an expandable rod tube. I got it at Bass Pro. Diameter 6-8 inches, it can be adjusted in two places top and bottom, about 12" each end. I'll look at the brand in the morning. I use it to ship FedEx and on airplane check-in. Lockable too. Reel bag is good storage.

driftboat

"Airliner" by Plano. Worth the $65 bucks. Use rod socks inside, ship or air flight. It's light weight and lockable/adjustable. My single piece rods are 7ft, long rods are  two piece 10-12ft. 

plano.png

Edited by JTF
driftboat

Should have added, I ship by fedex prior to air travel. There are shipping shops everywhere to accept and hold your stuff, $5.00 is more than reasonable. USPS is another favorite of mine and always cheaper if you have an address to drop off. 

driftboat

On 7/22/2018 at 11:10 PM, fatbikerjoe said:

Here is my problem.  Most of the surf fishing I do coincides with camping.  We have a motorhome so I usually transport or keep some rods in the back storage compartment which is the width of the motorhome (about 8.5ft)  For a few years now I've been using this really long Field and Stream bag to transport the rods and it works well at keeping them in good shape but as the number of rods I bring has grown (kids), the rods are getting a little beat up and scratched.  I don't expect to keep everything in perfectly new condition but I would like to prevent excess wear.  I have a few options.  1.  Keep going with the bag setup that I have and use those neoprene reel bags to wrap the reels.  2.  Use a rod sock but I can only find socks that will fit smaller poles (freshwater oriented).  Does anyone make a surf stick rod sock?  Kastking are you listening!!!  3.  Take the reel off the rod and store them in a hard shell box (like a pelican case) then transport the rods in a tube like a bazooka or Plano soft tube.  I am partial to the sock idea but I would need the sock to slip over both pole pieces and then wrap the reel in a neoprene case.  I cannot transport the rods outside the vehicle.  Rods are all two piece from 6' (kids rods),or  9-11ft.  Really want a rod sock.

Google "reel rod case" (reelrodcase). They only come to fit up to 8 foot rods but I'm sure it would stretch a bit to fit maybe 9 (they really stretch a lot)... they have the reel cover included. If your longer rods are 2pc then they would likely work well..  I have 2 and love them.. fabric is thick and soft to protect from damage to both the rod and the reel, not neoprene but more than sufficient for the intended purpose. 

Not sure if 8 foot-ish will work for your needs but I figure it's worth a mention.. 

Here is a crazy idea. If your just looking for a sleeve to put a few rods in how about a longbow sleeve. I know you can get them in many lengths and you might be able to fit a few in one cover.