Sandfleas

Rate this topic

Perfect fly rod opportunity. Fish feeding on them , fluke and small bass are going to be right in the wash where they ( sand crabs / fleas ) are helpless.

Lot's of imitations out there and other than keeping your line a bit tight is all you have to think about...no special retrieve, just get the line over that first small wave, using a sinking tip or intermediate line.

On 8/2/2018 at 10:10 AM, JoeGBreezy said:

Perfect fly rod opportunity. Fish feeding on them , fluke and small bass are going to be right in the wash where they ( sand crabs / fleas ) are helpless.

Lot's of imitations out there and other than keeping your line a bit tight is all you have to think about...no special retrieve, just get the line over that first small wave, using a sinking tip or intermediate line.

yep, sandflea flies for cownose rays too

If you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, Andrew46 said:

Anyone have  any success using sand fleas as bait on NY beaches? I

I did have few fish on south shore beaches using fleas.

I used them only as a last resort if any of the lures/plugs are not working.

Only bait I used last year.

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

I have to try that on the fly rod, thanks JoeG, another pattern to make during the winter.  There was a great bite during the mole crab molt/mating, (new moon July?) and sand flees would also produce when I'd run out.  Rest of the year the thieves (northern kings, bigger crabs, etc) will rob you blind pretty quickly.  But they do work, mostly on short fish.