frazerp

Practice Casting

16 posts in this topic

Should I use a tippet when practice casting - will be using a set of handmade leaders per Lefty Kreh (10', 12', 14' & 16') & would rather not lose a tippet in the trees around my yard ... 

I would use one. Your leader doesn't have to be technical, but I try and use the same leaders I use for fishing. Sections of 40,25,15 lb test to a practice fly (fuzz works). Saves your fly line tip from damage from cracking and it's more realistic practice as well. 

If lefty himself tied them I'd put them in a case and not touch them. Otherwise absolutley you should practice with it

If you are worried about loosing a bit of tippet you might as well save yourself the trouble and give up the sport now.

Practice as close to fishing situations as you can.  . .

Oakman, I think he's more worried about leaving little bits of nylon in the bushes. :)

But yes, use tippet and use some fluff. You should probably be casting at targets and the fluff helps you assess your success.

Cheers,

Graeme

6 hours ago, Hirdy said:

Oakman, I think he's more worried about leaving little bits of nylon in the bushes. :)

But yes, use tippet and use some fluff. You should probably be casting at targets and the fluff helps you assess your success.

Cheers,

Graeme

Well, that is a reasonable concern. . . 

Thanks all - been busy & it's also too windy & rainy out here on the North Fork of LI, probably just cut an old fly down just past the shank - OK ...

Don't use Lefty's leaders.  If you are on the steep section of the fly casting learning curve you will ruin them.  They are worth more to you in a real fishing situation OR was a collectable.

BUT.....you must use something!  You CAN cast a flyline alone with no leader but the casting physics create a "crack the whip" acceleration of that bare line tip causing, as y our stroke gets more efficient, an audible "POP".  The forces involved in that...as the tip speed breaks the sound barrier (!!) are enormous and will damage and quickly destroy the integrity of the last few feet of the line.

Tie ANYTHING mono-wise on to protect the line, or better yet put on a cheap, real leader ad something to act as a "fly"......without a hook.

In my practice, with 8 wts and up, I have taken to use a 2-3"strip of leather....which flies and acts very similar to what I will be throwing with those rods, and is indestructible.  And, I throw at specific targets and the "fly" helps me to see the leader turnover and fly landing and make adjustments.

You will know you have arrived, casting-wise, when you finish each session with NO WIND KNOTS. 

Maybe I'm not as sentimental as the others, but I can't imagine placing value on small pieces of monofilament, regardless of who may have tied them together.  

Thanks all - the leaders are not Lefty's, just tied my me per his guidance ...

On 7/22/2018 at 10:00 PM, Peter Patricelli said:

In my practice, with 8 wts and up, I have taken to use a 2-3"strip of leather....

That's new to me. I like it.

My practice was much better ( and fun) when I used some of my trashed flies, leaders and tippets. I had a few with broken off hooks. It was noticeably better than yarn.  It is much easier to watch the loop roll out.  

Yes, you definitely need some kind of leader to practice cast! (Nice tip about the leather, I'll have to give it a try).

I have yarn flies on all my practice reels... a lot safer then an old fly.

On 7/21/2018 at 10:04 AM, Oakman said:

Well, that is a reasonable concern. . . 

Small hula hoops make excellent targets to work on accuracy and how to handle windy days.

You can vary the wind thrust by walking a circle around a hoop from 40 to 50 feet out to create different angles of wind that need to be tamed. Use a horizontal cast to help stay under the wind.   The wind is slower when it's lower to the ground.  The wind is affected by the ground increasing the coefficiency of drag, exactly the same as in fast water, the slowest water will be along the stream banks. Trout will be found on the sides of streams in fast water situations.

18 mins ago, RJ said:

Small hula hoops make excellent targets to work on accuracy and how to handle windy days.

You can vary the wind thrust by walking a circle around a hoop from 40 to 50 feet out to create different angles of wind that need to be tamed. Use a horizontal cast to help stay under the wind.   The wind is slower when it's lower to the ground.  The wind is affected by the ground increasing the coefficiency of drag, exactly the same as in fast water, the slowest water will be along the stream banks. Trout will be found on the sides of streams in fast water situations.

I thought you did your practice casting with a cigar on the end.