Where to Take Kid Freshwater Fishing in CT

Rate this topic

TroutGhost

Nephew visiting Connecticut next week.  Wants to do freshwater fishing. He'll be in the Old Saybrook area. I can drive him around to wherever we need to go.

So I was hoping on some tips for a good place to take an 11 year old to catch some blue gills and such.

Thanks in advance!
:)

You can try some shore spots. The snappers may be big enough. And I'll look for some CT ponds with access for fishing.

I hit Lake Wauregan a couple weeks ago.Its a bit of a ride. But there are lots of perch, big channel cats. And shore access

Bit of a ride from Old SayBrook, In Killingly. About an hours drive.

Pataconk Lake has lots of access, but non res pays $15 to park.and its entirely within Cockaponsett State Forest. Big beach area and its supposed to rain all week, so you should have that area to yourself. Sunnies, Perch Bass.

Just now, The TideRunner said:

You can try some shore spots. The snappers may be big enough. And I'll look for some CT ponds with access for fishing.

I hit Lake Wauregan a couple weeks ago.Its a bit of a ride. But there are lots of perch, big channel cats. And shore access

Bit of a ride from Old SayBrook, In Killingly. About an hours drive.

Pataconk Lake has lots of access, but non res pays $15 to park.and its entirely within Cockaponsett State Forest. Big beach area and its supposed to rain all week, so you should have that area to yourself. Sunnies, Perch Bass.

I forgot to add, its not to far away either. Up Rte 9 

If you have a canoe, try Pickerel Lake in Colchester/East Haddam. There is a state owned boat launch with some parking, rarely anyone there. Heavily overgrown with weeds, loaded with crappies and panfish. Always an excellent chance of hooking into a pickerel or BIG bucket mouth.

fishinambition  Posted June 30 ·After a decade and a half of trolling and disrupting the website, frank's finally fed up with Tim's bull****

Check out Chatfield Hollow State Park in Killingworth. It's a stocked state trout pond with great shore fishing, picnic areas, hiking trails and biking. If you have access to a boat  Rogers Lake is in Old Lyme is a fun place to fish.