Frog

Daiwa Fuego LT

12 posts in this topic

The reel has been out for over 6 months now so I have been wondering how it has held up to the salt for anyone who owns one. Is it a better inshore reel than the BG? On paper it seems like the better reel with the sealing, higher drag, etc. for inshore and freshwater use. Thanks in advance.

I didn't use mine in the salt.  But Elias V tortured his in FL on everytthing from jacks to Tarpon.   It locked up on him after awhile but a simple lube job (not tearing it down adding grease and oil in the truck) got it up and running to continue on.

It's not as solid as the bg or even the other composite reels.  But it's a very nice reel for the money.  

Hmmm so in Elias V's test, would the BG had seized up as well? I guess the bg will live on as the king. I may still check out the fuego for my self to compare to my bg because I want a lighter reel for inshore fishing here in Florida. The fuego seems like my best bet for a light, tough, and affordable option. 

10 hours ago, Frog said:

Hmmm so in Elias V's test, would the BG had seized up as well? I guess the bg will live on as the king. I may still check out the fuego for my self to compare to my bg because I want a lighter reel for inshore fishing here in Florida. The fuego seems like my best bet for a light, tough, and affordable option. 

I think any reel in the price range would have seized.

My guess was all the salt deposits just built up where they shouldn't have....and the grease and oil applied from the outside free'ed it up.

Shoot him a pm. He's  member here.

He also fishes a hell of a lot more than the avg. person, so 1 season with him could be 4-5 years worth of fishing to the weekend fisherman.

I got a 2500 when they first came out. I only fish inshore salt about twice a week.  So far it has held up. Very light. I replaced the drag washers with carbonex and greassed them, the stock drag was strong, but it didn’t want to stay where I set it and I use 10lb braid. Not near as smooth as a stradik fj, but then it is much cheaper. I spray it with a hose after each outing

Its a decent reel but it isn't very ridged and flexes a lot when under a big load which I don't like. Caught some schoolies on it in heavy current... lots of wobble wobble. Obviously its capable since Elias was catching some big fish with it. 

2 hours ago, Vmasl said:

Its a decent reel but it isn't very ridged and flexes a lot when under a big load which I don't like. Caught some schoolies on it in heavy current... lots of wobble wobble. Obviously its capable since Elias was catching some big fish with it. 

Good to know.

What size?

I put more load and pressure on it spooling than any of the freshwater fish I caught on it could provide....and found it to be ok.   No where close to Alu....better than some flexy graphite reels.  But no where near the zaion and ci4 branded materials.

The two piece constructed okuma epixor had a more rigid feel to it when comparing the $$ and sizes.

But reel stem flex doesn't mean the gears are going to bind or get out of allignment.  Which is good..but you feel the flex in the stem.

If the sideplates were flexing it wouldn't take long for it to fail....lots of reels flex in the stem and not the gear box....

9 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Good to know.

What size?

I put more load and pressure on it spooling than any of the freshwater fish I caught on it could provide....and found it to be ok.   No where close to Alu....better than some flexy graphite reels.  But no where near the zaion and ci4 branded materials.

The two piece constructed okuma epixor had a more rigid feel to it when comparing the $$ and sizes.

But reel stem flex doesn't mean the gears are going to bind or get out of allignment.  Which is good..but you feel the flex in the stem.

If the sideplates were flexing it wouldn't take long for it to fail....lots of reels flex in the stem and not the gear box....

Reel is a 3000. Fish were 23-27''

Yeah I wasn't concerned about the gears. Just don't like the way it feels for the bigger stuff. Also my father was using my fuego for fluke and noted the stem flex and he doesn't fish much. 

3 hours ago, Vmasl said:

Reel is a 3000. Fish were 23-27''

Yeah I wasn't concerned about the gears. Just don't like the way it feels for the bigger stuff. Also my father was using my fuego for fluke and noted the stem flex and he doesn't fish much. 

Gotcha...I think my one critique of the reel is they kept the design a tad too similar to the tatula and ballistic and the multitude  other overseas zaion framed LT reels.   A tad more beef in the bicepts would have been a good idea.

Bought a Tatula after one of my reel gurus gave it a thumbs up.

Not really what I expected after first reviews.

Flex in the rotor,spool more than I expected.

Smooth,can’t disagree with that.

Quantum Smoke is just as light and much more rigid.

BG is way more rigid in all respects,tad heavier.

Save your money,buy the BG,s.