RSurf97

Two Handed Salt Fly Instructors - South Shore MA

9 posts in this topic

I have started to one the long path to TH fly casting for salt water. Took one lesson but the instructor is a little too far to be convenient.  I am looking for an instructor in the South Shore, Massachusetts area - Marshfield, Scituate, Pembroke.  Any suggestions or contact info would be appreciated.

RSurf97

Welcome. I do not know of anyone teaching TH surf fly rodding in MA

If it is any comfort to you it is not a long road in terms of learning the ropes.

Ok I am coming back to Cape Cod from Sep 8th to the 22nd. Staying around West Dennis.

If you are looking for help,with your cast I would be pleased to help out. 

Just let me know and we can sort something out. No charge for this. It’s what I do. I enjoy helping others along this path. If you are already casting a single hand rod we can get you a pretty decent TH cast in less than an hour.

Mike

Most of us learned thru trial & error, or we bug MikeO.

If you can find an instructor you have to be specific as to what you want to learn...two handed overhead or spey/skagit...not that a good instructor could teach both.

Thank you Mike. 

I have a two handed rod already that I am practicing with.  I will drop you a note around late Aug / Early Sept, to firm up something.  Thanks again.

I am no instructor but I live in Hingham and I am moving down the same path as you @RSurf97  Was doing traditional spey and switch for years chasing salmon and steelhead.  When I moved here I initially did all single hand for striper, but last years started two handing.  Realized traditional spey was not going to work so made switch to Skagit on my spey rod.  Had an opportunity to pick up a Thomas and Thomas surf two hander at a deep discount so have been learning TH Overhead casting too.  Happy to link up and go fishing or work on casting.  Been trying to pick up big fish at canal skagit casting, but no luck this year so far.  

Ok., sounds like a plan.  At this point, I am just practicing on a lonely beach so I don't pierce anyone.   I don't have it to a point of trying to fish it. Depending on the weather, I will PM you.  I don't really fish the canal.  

2 hours ago, RSurf97 said:

Thank you Mike. 

I have a two handed rod already that I am practicing with.  I will drop you a note around late Aug / Early Sept, to firm up something.  Thanks again.

Rsurf97

I arrive 8th and leave 22nd. I will have a few other commitments to some other SOL Guys to so don’t leave it too late to contact me or we could get a clash of timings. Best week for me is the second week from the 15 th. First week it will be full on fishing for many hours a day /night as we have a super big new moon spring tide. Not the best time for practicing casting. We can combine casting with fishing after if you would like that.

I can teach you roll  and overhead casts made over either side of the body. Casting into the wind across it  both sides and with a tailing wind.

I am not competent to teach Spey or  skagit and neither is my gear.

Mike

It is not exactly in your area but I believe Jerry Jahn of Spey Casting Northeast also teaches overhead with the 2 hander for the surf as well as traditional scandi & skagit. The operate out of the shop on the Farmington , classes in the park and on the river down the road.