youngsalt

Rust resistant treble hooks?

14 posts in this topic

Any suggestions on trebles that are reasonably priced and do a decent job of resisting rust? 

I currently use VMC 3X trebles and they seem to rust more quickly than in years past. I rinse my gear after each use but can see surface rust in as little as one trip. I'd prefer not to use corrosion X or any other chemicals if possible.

Out of all of my lures, the stock hooks on Bombers seem to hold up the longest. 

Hooks that have a tin coating last a long time without any corrosion issues....

I throw away a lot more VMCs due to surface rust than ST66. So, I find it cheaper. Barb is a little small though.

9 hours ago, FunkyBunker said:

Out of all of my lures, the stock hooks on Bombers seem to hold up the longest. 

Thanks, I'll look into what they use

7 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

Hooks that have a tin coating last a long time without any corrosion issues....

Any specific suggestions? 

7 hours ago, mandaragat said:

I throw away a lot more VMCs due to surface rust than ST66. So, I find it cheaper. Barb is a little small though.

I tried looking for these are they made by owner? 

I make some rigs with dual trebles connected by titanium wire so it gets pricey replacing them...

After you rinse your plugs just towel dry them. I know it sounds time consuming and useless but it works and only takes a few more minutes depending how many plugs you use. It works well and your VMCs won’t rust. I’ve been doing it for years. 

3 hours ago, youngsalt said:

Thanks, I'll look into what they use

Any specific suggestions? 

I tried looking for these are they made by owner? 

I make some rigs with dual trebles connected by titanium wire so it gets pricey replacing them...

ST56, 66, 76 and STX 58 and 68 are Owners (there are other numbers as well). New treble Owners are Made in China now even the STX models if that matters. Be careful using pliers to remove hooks as it will damage the Tin coating and will also rust. Use the original hooks that come with the lures until you fear of Tetanus.   

12 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

After you rinse your plugs just towel dry them. I know it sounds time consuming and useless but it works and only takes a few more minutes depending how many plugs you use. It works well and your VMCs won’t rust. I’ve been doing it for years. 

Drying them after rinsing does help out. Water will sit insde the split ring and it doesn't take much to form rust on regular steel. 

4 mins ago, FunkyBunker said:

Drying them after rinsing does help out. Water will sit insde the split ring and it doesn't take much to form rust on regular steel. 

Funky, yes, its helps a lot. I rarely change hooks on my plugs because of rust. Pat dry hooks with paper towel or towel after rinsing with fresh water and let air dry. Might sound to be a pia but it works.

How about a wipe with a drop of oil after the hooks are dry, even some peanut or olive oil that's not petroleum base.

Posted (edited)

I've had rust on trebles since I started fishing.  Surface rust is not a big deal until it starts affecting the hook points or begins to weaken the strength of the treble - that generally takes a while.  Like Steve has mentioned - keeping trebles dry is key to prolonged life/strength.  Rinsing them and still leaving them wet in the tube in your bag doesn't help.  Trebles are a consumable - when they show signs of weakness - replace.  That said the best, longest lasting trebles in the saltwater environment I've used were the discontinued Mustad cadmium/tinned plated.  If you can find those scoop them up.  Avoid anything nickel plated.  

Edited by DZ
added word

Curious if anyone has clear coated their hooks before use with Rustoleum clear coat and how they held up vs not using it?   Rustoleum also makes a clear coat called Neverwet which seems to have some sort of teflon worked into the paint.  It makes the water bead up and roll off whatever has been treated.

Most important part of rust free hooks is a freshwater rinse after each use. Yeah, patting them dry or using WD-40 or blowing them dry would probably really help but I think that's going a bit overboard. Hose 'em off, let 'em air dry. Yeah, you may still get some surface rust but not enough to impact the hooks function and they'll last for several seasons, maybe longer.

Someone should invent a plug bag dryer  :)