ODM Frontier or Blackhole nano surf?

Rate this topic

QHNM

1 hour ago, TimS said:

What does that have to do with a 1209? It’s neither a St Croix nor two piece rod. And your previous post you say you won’t buy a $500 rod without a multi year warranty because you have accidents and break yours...even ithough that wouldn’t be a warranty failure anyway. That makes no sense. In none of the examples you’ve used did a warranty failure take place...they are/were 100% user error...a hundred year warranty wouldn’t cover falling or smashing a rod in the rocks. You know this, right? 

TimS

I think he was referring to St. Croix warranty program.  Their warranty policy is written broadly enough to cover "accidents".  It's not 100% coverage.  From St Croix's website.

"Accidents happen. If your rod has been damaged, St. Croix’s Gold Star Service Plan provides quick repair or replacement without subjecting owners to a lengthy warranty claim process."

2 hours ago, TimS said:

What does that have to do with a 1209? It’s neither a St Croix nor two piece rod. And your previous post you say you won’t buy a $500 rod without a multi year warranty because you have accidents and break yours...even ithough that wouldn’t be a warranty failure anyway. That makes no sense. In none of the examples you’ve used did a warranty failure take place...they are/were 100% user error...a hundred year warranty wouldn’t cover falling or smashing a rod in the rocks. You know this, right? 

TimS

I bought the 1209 story not for the sake of the rod but to show that accidents happen to the most serious experienced anglers and as such, I do not wish to spend another $500 to replace the broken rod. It's a lot of money for a fishing rod and I would expect companies to offer the same warranty offered by StCroix with some small margin. StCroix offers no questions asked warranty to cover such incidents. This warranty will cover the full rod. You will have to put down like $100 to replace the rod if it is your fault. In the case of manufacturer fault, I think you only pay for the shipping.  StCroix went beyond that and offers new top for $60 without a need to submit a claim.

Some people say, this offering is included in the initial price of the rod, and I am sure it does but that does not mean that the cost and material of StCroix rods are less than the rods being built in China or Korea by the small companies. So, in my case, I will buy the StCroix rods if I can use them for my applications.

Edited by levari

35 mins ago, gdc23 said:

I am currently going through a warranty claim with ODM on a broken Frontier X, Steve at the moment appears to not be standing by the warranty. I will report with a new post the full story once this is resolved. 

Next time buy StCroix and you won’t have to deal with this BS.

15 mins ago, ksong said:

Good for St Croix for their lucrative warranty. 

Out best way of service is to make sure you don't need replacement. 

So if I do need a replacement it must be some defect since you made sure that your rods don’t need a replacement. Let be practical,accidents can happen.  All my broken rods (3) were a result of falling in boulder fields when the rods hit sharp rock upon contact. I don’t believe your nano rods would have survived these falls.

7 mins ago, levari said:

So if I do need a replacement it must be some defect since you made sure that your rods don’t need a replacement. Let be practical,accidents can happen.  All my broken rods (3) were a result of falling in boulder fields when the rods hit sharp rock upon contact. I don’t believe your nano rods would have survived these falls.

This scenario is 100% user error and not a defect. Why would a manufacture provide warranty for this? If you accidentally dropped your iPhone and the screen cracked you think apple will replace it for you with a new phone??? That's what you have extra insurance for and in some cases you still have to pay a copay. 

9 mins ago, ksong said:

It is like you hit your car and you ask to replace the damaged car free. :)

That's the difference between you and StCroix. StCroix will enable me to buy the top for $60 while in your case the replacement will be very expensive. I don't expect you to replace the rod in case of accidents but don't expect me to buy from you if I can get a better service from StCroix enabling me to replace  a very expensive rod at a reasonable price in case of an accident. Perhaps you should consider replacing high end rods at your cost..

21 mins ago, CrashHard23 said:

This scenario is 100% user error and not a defect. Why would a manufacture provide warranty for this? If you accidentally dropped your iPhone and the screen cracked you think apple will replace it for you with a new phone??? That's what you have extra insurance for and in some cases you still have to pay a copay. 

$60 copay for Legend Surf (old models) and under $100 for new models.

Edited by levari

8 mins ago, CrashHard23 said:

St. Croix does - it's in black and white on their website.  Stick your rod in a ceiling fan, Pay ~$100 and they send you a new rod. Slam it in you car door, Pay ~$100 and the send you a new rod. Break a rod over your knee, pay $100 and they send you a new rod no questions asked. 

It could not be any more clear on their website.

A quote directly from St Croix's website:

"Accidents happen. If your rod has been damaged, St. Croix’s Gold Star Service Plan provides quick repair or replacement without subjecting owners to a lengthy warranty claim process"

Get off this guys back already with this high and mighty BS

4 mins ago, CrashHard23 said:

And that's his point in his previous posts...St. Croix's warranty program takes this into account. As pointed out above from their website..."Accidents happen. If your rod has been damaged, St. Croix’s Gold Star Service Plan provides quick repair or replacement without subjecting owners to a lengthy warranty claim process." Granted, there is a fee for this service...but the cost is far less than the outright buying of a new rod, like you would have to do with someone else...say a smaller manufacturer, or a custom builder, or anyone for that matter.

I'm not saying any one rod manufacturer/builder is better than any other, but St. Croix just happens to presently have one of, if not the best warranty programs out there. Whether or not a warranty is that important to any one individual is up to them...but I think it's almost irrefutable that St. Croix's happens to be one of the best. I'm a bit surprised at some of the comments regarding it, especially from some people above who don't even seem to know it's parameters...

19 hours ago, Cpalms said:

I think he was referring to St. Croix warranty program.  Their warranty policy is written broadly enough to cover "accidents".  It's not 100% coverage.  From St Croix's website.

"Accidents happen. If your rod has been damaged, St. Croix’s Gold Star Service Plan provides quick repair or replacement without subjecting owners to a lengthy warranty claim process."

That's not a real 'warranty' program...it's above and beyond. Accidents aren't warranty failure...maybe these companies are the reason so many people today think slamming their rod in the door or high sticking a little bass in the surf til the rod tip folds is a 'warranty' issue? 

Equipment abuse, misuse and accidents have never been considered the same kinda problem as a manufacturing/material defect covered under warranty :idea:

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

7 mins ago, levari said:

That's the difference between you and StCroix. StCroix will enable me to buy the top for $60 while in your case the replacement will be very expensive. I don't expect you to replace the rod in case of accidents but don't expect me to buy from you if I can get a better service from StCroix enabling me to replace  a very expensive rod at a reasonable price in the case of an accident.

$60 copay for Legend Surf (old models) and under $100 for new models.

That is why I said the St Croix warranty is lucrative. I wonder how long the warranty lasts.

We want our anglers who appreciate our rods. We are kind of custom rod makers for small audience. 

Edited by ksong

13 mins ago, Cpalms said:

St. Croix does - it's in black and white on their website.  Stick your rod in a ceiling fan, Pay ~$100 and they send you a new rod. Slam it in you car door, Pay ~$100 and the send you a new rod. Break a rod over your knee, pay $100 and they send you a new rod no questions asked. 

It could not be any more clear on their website.

A quote directly from St Croix's website:

"Accidents happen. If your rod has been damaged, St. Croix’s Gold Star Service Plan provides quick repair or replacement without subjecting owners to a lengthy warranty claim process"

Get off this guys back already with this high and mighty BS

11 mins ago, Romer Treece said:

And that's his point in his previous posts...St. Croix's warranty program takes this into account. As pointed out above from their website..."Accidents happen. If your rod has been damaged, St. Croix’s Gold Star Service Plan provides quick repair or replacement without subjecting owners to a lengthy warranty claim process." Granted, there is a fee for this service...but the cost is far less than the outright buying of a new rod, like you would have to do with someone else...say a smaller manufacturer, or a custom builder, or anyone for that matter.

I'm not saying any one rod manufacturer/builder is better than any other, but St. Croix just happens to presently have one of, if not the best warranty programs out there. Whether or not a warranty is that important to any one individual is up to them...but I think it's almost irrefutable that St. Croix's happens to be one of the best. I'm a bit surprised at some of the comments regarding it, especially from some people above who don't even seem to know it's parameters...

I am talking about warranty. The program that St Croix offers and Levari is talking about is NOT a warranty program  its a service plan. Gets the facts right! 

15 mins ago, ksong said:

That is why I said the St Croix warranty is lucrative. I wonder how long the warranty lasts.

We want our anglers who appreciate our rods. We are kind of custom rod makers for small audience. 

I think the Legend surf old model is about 10 years old and you can still buy the top parts regardless of the warranty (you can simply order it). The current warranty for high end rods is 18 years. I think since you are a small company,  the number of broken rods via accident is also small, so replacing an over $500 rods and charging $150 - $200 is a reasonable expectation from a customer point of view. That is just my opinion.

Edited by levari