ODM Frontier or Blackhole nano surf?

Rate this topic

QHNM

A friend of mine is looking for a light in weight quality rod and he didn't like the SC Legend. blackhole surf 10'6 3/4-4oz blank is 7oz but the whole rod weight i can't find anywhere for this info. He casted my Star VPR and he loved it but he hates the single foot guides. he asked me help him to find a rod with similar action and light as the VPR but not the single foot guides. i have a chance to touch the Frontier it's heavier than the VPR but will be acceptable and i believe the blackhole is light too...

does anyone own at least one of these rods, the Frontier and BH nano light? he preferred the 50/50 split but 70/30 is acceptable too.. it looks like BH is his favor on the split thing

Thanks

Edited by QHNM

1 hour ago, Dan_evan1 said:

Levari’s blood pressure is going to reach critical mass after reading this one :howdy:

Nah... Some likes parsley in the salad and some like cilantro and that’s perfectly fine..What is not fine are those who bad mouth products based on rumors or what they read on the web. Not the case here...

I would also look at the GSB 1321m if they make it in 2 pc. I fished with it for the last 2 weeks. An awesome rod for the boulder fields. 

Edited by levari

Lots of great companies making great rods out there to choose from. 

What shops are close to you? you should really go feel them all Definitely include the

10' genesis 3/4 -4 very light and powerful rods and 50/50 split

Frontier X is 9'6" or 10'6" 70/30 split (no 10ft)

Also take a look at the new DNA line coming out. 

10 ft 3/4 - 4 60/40 split

All have slightly different actions and weights so I recommend holding/trying as many different rods as you can. Its the only way to get a good feel for them. Again there are many great companies making great lightweight powerful 2 piece rods.

Are you on Long Island? There is a demo at Captree B&T this Saturday Until 12 noon.

Tight Lines!

we live in Boston.. i have him stop by the MGC tackle shop in Hanover to take a look at the ODM rods.. they allowed the customer takes the rod go outside and test it (pretend to cast and feel it, no weight/sinker). they carry ODM, Lamiglas, Century, Saint Croix, Star, TFO but no blackhole. i'm not sure if they carry blackhole now, last time i stopped by was few months ago.

I don't like the Genesis that much because of its un-sanded blank looks ugly, sorry Genesis fans :)

the Frontier looks so pretty i love it but it's about me not him or the others.. I love big butt girls don't mean you love big butt too right? you might love other big part lol

Edited by QHNM

41 mins ago, gdc23 said:

Not sure about the warranty on the Black Hole but ODM is far from ideal

Blackhome is 1yr warranty the same as the odm. They do not want to stand behind their high end products for a long time like tfo, saint croix etc.. They do not trust on what they made i think maybe?

Edited by QHNM
Edit

37 mins ago, QHNM said:

Blackhome is 1yr warranty the same as the odm. They do not want to stand behind their high end products for a long time like tfo, saint croix etc.. They do not trust on what they made i think maybe?

StCroix is exceptional. Regardless of the warranty, you simply can order the top section of the Legend for $60 shipped. No one else offer such a low cost top section. I just received a replacement for my 11’ Legend. 

Black Hole Nano Surf rod is very unique. It is top of the line with Fuji SIC guides.

Nano is as light as graphite, but it feels soft like glass rod.

The rod is exceptionally strong. We landed 150 lb tarpon with the light rod.

I really don't want to sell the rod if you don't know the rod.

You might check Tomo Tackle in Salem, MA as I believe they have in stock. 

7 hours ago, QHNM said:

Wouldn't make assumptions and figure out the quality for yourself. St. Croix makes a quality rod but imo most prone to overload, ferrule, and high stick breakages out of the bunch. The top section for $60 has over $200 in fuji torzites. Bigger companies can absorb loss moreso than the smalls, hence why alot of guys are buying top section replacements and stripping the guides. Set yourself up to be taken advantage of and you will. Blackhole and ODM are both high quality sticks with the industry minimum one year warranty

8 hours ago, BrianBM said:

J&H has a demo of what this coming Saturday?

Where are the ODM blanks made?  BH is Korean, which is fine.  

Odm are Chinese blanks, assembled in US. Were initially Japanese blanks but went to China a while back from what I heard. Nobody ever wanted to confirm this for me though, which leads me to believe it is true

He stopped by MGC tackle he saw the frontier he loved it right away and bought it. He and i went to Canal tonight he landed 48" bass without any trouble he said he could not be happier with the frontier. We are now heading back home from Canal.. 

About the warranty.. I will not spend $500+ on the rod that comes with 1 yr warranty.. I was thinking to get the frontier but i ended up with Star VPR cheaper plus lifetime warranty and i love the rod action plus super light.. I have never broke any rod but i still want a long warranty. imo the factory did not want to stand behind their high end rods that tells me they do not trust their products why should i? :)