dannyplug1

Fishing deep running plugs

7 posts in this topic

I would like to try fishing deep running plugs more often.  If you were fishing a Conrad for example, how would you get it to go down?  Do you crank the heck out of it?  Or do you use a steady retrieve?  I am fishing deep,areas in the surf as opposed to breachways.to breach ways.  Any information on fishing deep runners would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks Charlie 

I usually just crank them steady with the first few turns maybe a bit more quickly. If the plug is tuned correctly, it won't take long for it to get down. I used to have some favorite places where I tossed the Gibbs slope head Danny and Juniors tuned to run deep. Rod tip positioned as low as practical and close to the water helps to drive them down. The classic rod between the legs and tip up stance will be counter productive if you want a plug to reach it's maximum depth unless your plug is vary far out.  

as stated above, slower, steady crank with tip down does the trick.

as you approach shallower depth lift the tip up and slow it down a bit.

12-15 feet of water is ideal with that method,,maybe even up to 20 feet.

HH

generally swim lip down, hooks and tail higher, if / when you hit bottom, pause and let plug float up and away, then continue retrieve - like a fresh water bass crankbait - 

Also, don't forget that with most metal lips, bending the line tie in the upward direction will send the plug deeper. Experiment to find the best tuning. Always try your plugs in daylight before fishing them after dark. That way you will know what that are doing.

1 hour ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Also, don't forget that with most metal lips, bending the line tie in the upward direction will send the plug deeper. Experiment to find the best tuning. Always try your plugs in daylight before fishing them after dark. That way you will know what that are doing.

Good tips Steve. By bending the line tie up you can get most any metal lip to run deeper and conversely by bending it down you can get it to run close to or on the surface. When testing your plugs during daylight you can see what you have to do to make the lure look like a baitfish. Depending on the current strength, you may even have to let line out rather than retrieving it.