Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yemista

leadcore

6 posts in this topic

I just picked up 100 yards of leadcore to fish the quabbin tomorrow, and Im wondering the best way to attach it to mono? I googled some examples but I dont have faith in the knots I saw. Any good recommendations?

Albright knot. Landed many large fish over the years without an issue in saltwater. Remove the lead in the area your tying. 

Do a Willis knot. First you hollow out the end of the leadcore by pulling some lead out. Then tie an overhand knot and slide it down the line without pulling it tight. Splice in the mono. Work the overhand knot up towards where the mono meets the leadcore. Pull tight. It's basically a poor man's splice. I'm sure you could just serve it like a normal splice but I've never bothered. Only worth the effort for big fish.

Yea I found that knot, and I actually tied it, seems weak though. Does it really work?

Why can't you use a tiny barrel swivel? I did for years in my tube and worm days.

50 mins ago, bob_G said:

Why can't you use a tiny barrel swivel? I did for years in my tube and worm days.

I could but I have 60 yards of leadcore, so the swivel would be deep in the spool, meaning it would have to go through the guides. Did you have any issues with this?