Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Azballa7

Fiberglass fly line?

12 posts in this topic

I'm hearing mixed feelings regarding fly line type for glass rods.  Some say WF is good while others say no good. 

What fly line do you recommend for a 4wt glass rod?   My 4wt Cabelas CGR 6'6" was just delivered! 

I use WF lines all the time on my glass rods but im fishing for bass with 6&7 wt rods.A lot of glass guys like DT lines,especially in the lighter weights.You could always pose this on the fiberglass flyrodders forum as there are a number of people who fish that specific rod.Either way,it comes down to personal preferences,not good vs bad.

Posted (edited)

The line is just an elongated weight. The material a rod is constructed from has no relevance at all when it comes to line selection.

A Wf or  a DT Line will be fine for you rod. Both will work if maybe a tiny bit differently.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

If you like to cast long line line loops a DT is OK but it does not shoot well because it is thick. WF line needs to be shot when long cast is done. There are WF which rear taper is long and it is most versatile as it casts long line loops but also shoots OK shorter length out of rod tip.

Often glassfiber rod limits line the loop length sooner than CF rod so it does not matter which line type is cast.

Esa

You don’t have to take a specific kind of line.   I’m using WF all the time on my fiberglass Rod, the same lines I use on my CF ones...

You will probably have to take more care to your casting stroke with the fiberglass Rod as, in my experience, they are more sensitive to tracking error or non-even application of force.  

Enjoy!

dc

If you are commonly casting 40' or less, it does not matter. They are the pretty much the same at those distances*. Since you've bought a 6'6" 4wt rod, I doubt you're aiming to cast +60' very often, so use any line you like

Cheers,

Graeme

* ... assuming you're staying away from clunky lines like the Rio Outbound Short. They are not "typical lines".

Posted (edited)

I've got both but I prefer DT, loads better and more accurate (for me, anyway).  Both of my CGR's (a 2wt and a 4/5 wt) work better with DT.  Depending on how far you're casting you might find a DT4 and a WF5 work great.  On tiny streams I put a DT3 on my CGR 2wt and it comes alive.

Edited by Bonefish79

2 hours ago, BillA said:

Confused yet?

Lol a little.   But from doing more research a WF vs DT will be very similar at the beginning of the line.   The difference is more towards the end of the line.   With a 4wt I will probably not be casting that far so it will not make a difference for me.

4 hours ago, Azballa7 said:

Lol a little.   But from doing more research a WF vs DT will be very similar at the beginning of the line.   The difference is more towards the end of the line.   With a 4wt I will probably not be casting that far so it will not make a difference for me.

It doesn't sound like you're confused. You're right on track.

(The difference is in the end of the line that is attached to the reel. There's no inherent difference at the end attached to the leader. That end is just taper design and is not related to whether it's a WF or a DT line.)

Cheers,

Graeme

2 hours ago, Hirdy said:

It doesn't sound like you're confused. You're right on track.

(The difference is in the end of the line that is attached to the reel. There's no inherent difference at the end attached to the leader. That end is just taper design and is not related to whether it's a WF or a DT line.)

Cheers,

Graeme

So would you say a WF line is better for tight areas where I can shoot line to get more distance?   Or is roll casting the preferred method?   Not roll casting as often due to trees above. 

1 hour ago, Azballa7 said:

So would you say a WF line is better for tight areas where I can shoot line to get more distance?   Or is roll casting the preferred method?   Not roll casting as often due to trees above. 

Shooting a weight forward line is an option once the cast distance is approaching 40' and beyond. At 40', you've got a leader and a rod and about 20' of line, which means you've still got 10' to 20' of the head inside the tip. In addition, of that 20', 6' to 12' is taper so there's not much weight out there. This means you've got less mass outside the tip than inside, and shooting line will not be any better with a WF than with a DT line for these short casts.

Do you need to cast beyond 40'? If you've got back cast room and trees above, then sidecasting is the option, regardless of line type. If you only have 40' of back cast room, then yes, a WF line will let you shoot to (say) 70' whereas the DT line might only reach 50' in the same situation (depending on your skill.)

If you don't need to cast beyond 40', then once again, the letters DT or WF don't matter in that situation.

In the situation you've described (trees above and perhaps limited backcast room) I'd be looking to do a roll cast from the side or if more distance is required, I'd use a poke and a roll cast or a full-on switch cast, single spey or circle spey (depending on directional changes.) With this situation, I'd recommend a line designed for roll casting because they do indeed make a difference. The Rio Single Hand Spey line is one excellent example.

Cheers,

Graeme