ThrowinPlugs

Buyer beware; Tsunami Wood Needles

27 posts in this topic

Hey all, just felt I'd share an unfortunate issue I had with a new plug I picked up yesterday. It's a 1.75oz wood needle. Great hardware, nice paint, feels solid, but after literally 5 casts today in a sandy area, I noticed splits in the wood forming, paint starting to bubble and every retrieve the plug would swim upside down with the hooks facing up. Real disappointed as I've had tons of good experiences with their plastic stuff... Luckily I'll be getting my money back to go towards a new SS or Gibbs...

IMG_1864.JPG

IMG_1865.JPG

IMG_1866.JPG

Posted (edited)

the people that actually make that brand of lures[timber]seem not to know to seal the wood first.

I have several of the timbers and I sealed them before they ever touch water.

not a single one of mine has ever cracked.

I learned this by watching others mistakes.

seen them crack on other guys that bought them and have seen some of them not crack.

I took the initiative and fully dipped mine[you can also drip it into the bellow hole till it runs out of the ends] in polyurethane for 5 mins,hung them up to dry[1 week] and when I fished them they did not crack.

they do work well but,most guys don't know to seal them first,,kinda like preventative maintenance.

now,I do get it that it should be right form the beginning but,as I said,someone that's building them either does not know to seal them enough or at all.

so,don't sell them short,they work well just seal them yourself and they will be solid 'cause ya never really know.

anyhow,thats how to be sure it won't crack and you'll be able to fish with a lure that produces.

HH

ps-they don't get waterlogged either.

Edited by Roddy

I had the same issue with a tsunami metal lip. Tossed it and bought a Gibbs Danny to replace it. Tsunamis always been a lower-end product company, they’re only really any good for plastics and one line of rods. 

5 mins ago, HighEndHooker said:

I had the same issue with a tsunami metal lip. Tossed it and bought a Gibbs Danny to replace it. Tsunamis always been a lower-end product company, they’re only really any good for plastics and one line of rods. 

Agreed! Well that's exactly what I'm gonna do I'm going to return it, and then buy either a gibbs or super strike needle in the same color pattern. Kind of a bummer because it actually seemed really nice, but you shouldn't have to prep  a plug that you pay almost $20 for. 

We sold these wooden plugs ( Tsunami) at the tackle shop where I work and we received many complaints about them which included the OP's problem.

Contact Tsunami (Bimini Bay Outfitters).  They are definitely trying to up their game, and would likely be receptive to the feedback.

10 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Agreed! Well that's exactly what I'm gonna do I'm going to return it, and then buy either a gibbs or super strike needle in the same color pattern. Kind of a bummer because it actually seemed really nice, but you shouldn't have to prep  a plug that you pay almost $20 for. 

you are very correct TP but,if you like it why not prep it?,,esp when we modify things ourselves anyway.

most of us prep our reels with grease even though it is brand new so,why not our lures too.

with plugs being diff even from the same length of wood a plug could swim diff from another from the same tree.

as I said,I have a few  and they do work well but,I knew,from what I saw whomever "sealed" them didn't do a good job of it.

I fixed that.

I do hear ya though.

HH

I caught my first surf bass on that exact plug.  While my needlefish didnt split, my two dannys split immediately. They are nothing special and made overseas, besides we have some awesome local plug builders. 

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, bassmaster said:

thats what happens when u dont seal the wood.

it will crack like the OP has stated\shown,the thing is to seal it before you use it because you don't know if it will when you get it wet,after that it can crack but,it's too late then.

even with a well known brand plug it can happen or become waterlogged after a while.

some of my large Bob Hahns have become sponges,I fixed them the same way,they didn't crack but,are old and used to suck in water[2 pieces].

I have a 2 creek chub giant pikies that cracked,,,a large surfster and a pikie,I hung them up to dry good then sealed them in poly[fully submerged for about 5 mins,hung them back up for a week] and then to smooth the surface gave them a coat of epoxy,they are as solid as they were supposed to be now.

they work great still.

the Rudolph has a small crack along the eye near the slot.

the surfster has one along the entire belly of it but,they are fixed now.

no problems,swims as it was designed to.

I am sharing this because some of us may want to use\like tsunamis plugs and I offer them a way to be sure they will stay the way they should.

HH

5b4c31402d763_HHPlugWerxLDP234.thumb.JPG.804faa7b8731d4f43e19767263bdec9d.JPG5b4c318534d9c_HHPlugWerxLDP1280.thumb.JPG.df52b7d39a0bab46c1383a06f20bcfdb.JPG

5b4c33d39ab78_HHPlugWerxLDP258.thumb.JPG.8c50a20d59e35a3981b830256c7be1e0.JPG

Edited by Roddy

12 hours ago, bassmaster said:

thats what happens when u dont seal the wood.

Chrome Bombers don't do that!:howdy:

On 7/14/2018 at 6:40 AM, HighEndHooker said:

Tsunamis always been a lower-end product company, they’re only really any good for plastics and one line of rods. 

Don’t wanna hi-jack a good thread, but I’m dying to know. 

What line of Tsunami rods are you referring to?

JD

1 hour ago, jjdbike said:

Don’t wanna hi-jack a good thread, but I’m dying to know. 

What line of Tsunami rods are you referring to?

JD

I’d guess the Airwave Elites, but I’ll leave it to@jjdbike to confirm or correct me on that one. 

13 mins ago, Dan_evan1 said:

I’d guess the Airwave Elites, but I’ll leave it to@jjdbike to confirm or correct me on that one. 

Hey Dan,

Thanks but what’s “@jjdbike” mean”

I’m no expert on airwave elite for sure. Never even had one in my hands.

JD