Tin Boat

stopwatch stripers

9 posts in this topic

For the 5th or 6th time in the past two weeks the first striper of the evening hit at precisely 8:40 PM. Not sooner. Not later. Precisely 8:40. Any theories about this apparently magic time?

First week of July on a Long Island ocean beach, stripers started chasing small bait in the wash around 8:15pm, 3 nights in a row. But they wouldn’t touch a fly until around 8:45pm, then the window was open for about 15 minutes before it got too dark and the fish shut down. Same thing each night. It might still be going on, I had to head home and haven’t been back yet.

couple of years ago in the fall I had keeper bass in the surf between 6:15am and 6:20am for a few consecutive days. As soon as I thought it was dialed in, the pre-dawn bite ended.

i don’t think they’re watching the clock. Probably keyed in to light levels.

How long have you two been fishing ???

If you had a comfortable summer spot to hang out during the day, and also had a convenient route you take routinely for appetizers and beers, Why would you change that ??? It'll change when it's no longer comfortable( water temp, current, structure) and no longer convenient(bait moves on).  

20 hours ago, Tin Boat said:

For the 5th or 6th time in the past two weeks the first striper of the evening hit at precisely 8:40 PM. Not sooner. Not later. Precisely 8:40. Any theories about this apparently magic time?

Not that I use, or even believe in them, but curious if you compared your recent experience against the solunar tables for the dates in that area?

Never used solunar tables ... prefer magic. More seriously, I think RH37 is right about the bass being keyed to light levels. The sun was down, the light was fading and sunset pink still colored the water. That's magic enough for me.

Duff,

Been fishing since 1967. Does anything in my post above suggest otherwise?

RH37

Edited by RH37
Miscounted

It's not unusual for me to put off fishing until sunset. Yesterday with the big minus tide I waded to a spot here in Sandwich where the only other fisherman was just leaving and complaining about the lack of fish. As the sun disappeared the small bass started to break. It was still going on as it got dark.  

20 hours ago, Tin Boat said:

Never used solunar tables ... prefer magic. More seriously, I think RH37 is right about the bass being keyed to light levels. The sun was down, the light was fading and sunset pink still colored the water. That's magic enough for me.

This and maybe your watch is stuck on a time ? :p

8:40 brought the first hit again a couple of nights ago, and tonight I had a couple of tugs a little earlier, but didn't hook up until ... you guessed it. It is getting a little witchy.  My watch works fine, The bass are small.