CedarWind

First Striper on a Fly

10 posts in this topic

Hi.  I just wanted to share that which you guys almost certainly remember, your first striper on the fly.  It was about half way between low and high tide today and I had waded out about waste deep on a narrow sandbar.  I was at a beach that my grandfather used to fish.  I had just caught two sea robbins and there was a lot of bait jumping around me.  Naturally, I assumed that the 3rd fish on the line would be another robin.  It did not feel much different.   But, before long I caught a glimmer of silver.  It was just a schoolie, but I had not caught one since April and that had been on a conventional rig.  It was all the sweeter because it was on clouser that I had tied.  After a quick release (no pictures taken and I used a barbless hook) all I could do was look up, smile and be thankful.

In the spring, if you can find a river that supports a spawning run .... you'll really get hooked. In New England find a tidal / river outflow .... like from a salt marsh or salt pond. With the fly rod in hand, doing drifts with Streamers and / or Clousers ... will get you many more Stripers than Sea Robins.

Enjoy the journey! Catch a Big One!

10 hours ago, CedarWind said:

.  After a quick release (no pictures taken and I used a barbless hook) all I could do was look up, smile and be thankful.

Nice release and congrats to you.

My first was a small and was and exciting first, as I'm sure your was.

Thanks guys!   It is really nice to add saltwater fly fishing to  what I can do.   I like stream fishing for trout on the fly, but there's always been something about the salt water that is a little more mysterious and magical.