Southcoastphil

GREAT to finally hit the Ditch last night, and see some DT mates!

10 posts in this topic

I know, I know, "WHAT?!  You haven't hit the ditch until *now*???"

Work, family and other stuff all have conspired against me and my "Ditching" for several months now.  BUT...

I *finally* got to see my favorite water last night!  I cannot tell you how good it felt to be out there solo in the middle of the night, perfect weather and tides, soaking it all in.  (Yep, got some good fish too.)

I then had the pleasure of FINALLY connecting with Sandbar1 on the water (after I don't know how many times we've tried to do so in the last few weeks!  All due to my schedules.).  

We chatted on the phone re spots around 0300, and I was walking the path to meet him an hour later.  (Well, I HAD to check out a few fave spots from years past, right?)

On a hunch, I reached out to beerdoh, with whom I've had the pleasure of catching many tides (both on the Ditch throughout 2017 and in SoCo late last fall) and it turned out that I was about 30 yards away from him when he answered the phone!

To add another layer of pleasant surprise, he was fishing with TheGraveyardShift, with whom I'd only fished once or twice, in 2017.

Of course I immediately connected with Cal to ask him to join the three of us, and he arrived within five minutes, at which time I introduced him to my other two mates.

At the risk of sounding cliched, it was so much fun to fish with some good mates, and to introduce some of them to each other.  What a great way to enjoy my maiden Ditch trip of this season!

Yes, we caught some fish.  (OOPS! Correction:  THEY caught some fish.  Best I could scramble up was one hit on a green mack SS needle. But that, honestly, had NO bearing on my enjoyment during those couple of hours.)

Thanks again, Cal, for letting me test cast your rods.  That Jigster is amazing!

Although I didn't catch a PB, nor did I catch many fish, this trip I shall remember.

Awesome for all you guys 

i had the pleasure yesterday to meet and fish with beerdoh, a great fisherman for sure! He shined over my lack of ditch experiance. But it was nice to share a tide with another angler. We were lucky enuff to catch some fish and see some great action along the banks of the great canal!

Sounds like you guys were on it yesterday, Chuck!

I will be in Winthrop in the next week or so.  Perhaps you and Ted might school me re fishing the gut one evening/night? 

Great to see you gentlemen this morning. Phil it was great to finally fish with you and the same goes to beerdoh and TheGraveYardShift.

Yes the fishing has slowed but any time on the water is an experience to rememer.

Phil we've got to get out again soon some night and jig or throw eels. The same goes for any other trolls, I'm always looking to fish with some good guys.

It was a fun couple of days for sure. I just slept almost 10 hours after 2 nights with little sleep. Good to see you Phil & Dan. Nice to meet you Cal and Chuck! Always good to be in a lineup with people you know and trust! Especially when it’s crowded like it was on Friday. Thursday was a pleasure as well fishing and catching for 8 hours. The last few with Chuck in broad daylight. Love when you can actually see the bass hunting at the drop off. I’ll catch up with you guys soon. Now off to cut the grass. :waah:

I absolutely LOVE fishing with a CREW of good mates on the Ditch when it is crowded.  Everybody knows how to fish a lineup, the rotation and the courtesy.  

Added bonus?

Makes it easy to defend a piece of shoreline!!

On 7/13/2018 at 6:58 PM, Southcoastphil said:

I know, I know, "WHAT?!  You haven't hit the ditch until *now*???"

Work, family and other stuff all have conspired against me and my "Ditching" for several months now.  BUT...

I *finally* got to see my favorite water last night!  I cannot tell you how good it felt to be out there solo in the middle of the night, perfect weather and tides, soaking it all in.  (Yep, got some good fish too.)

I then had the pleasure of FINALLY connecting with Sandbar1 on the water (after I don't know how many times we've tried to do so in the last few weeks!  All due to my schedules.).  

We chatted on the phone re spots around 0300, and I was walking the path to meet him an hour later.  (Well, I HAD to check out a few fave spots from years past, right?)

On a hunch, I reached out to beerdoh, with whom I've had the pleasure of catching many tides (both on the Ditch throughout 2017 and in SoCo late last fall) and it turned out that I was about 30 yards away from him when he answered the phone!

To add another layer of pleasant surprise, he was fishing with TheGraveyardShift, with whom I'd only fished once or twice, in 2017.

Of course I immediately connected with Cal to ask him to join the three of us, and he arrived within five minutes, at which time I introduced him to my other two mates.

At the risk of sounding cliched, it was so much fun to fish with some good mates, and to introduce some of them to each other.  What a great way to enjoy my maiden Ditch trip of this season!

Yes, we caught some fish.  (OOPS! Correction:  THEY caught some fish.  Best I could scramble up was one hit on a green mack SS needle. But that, honestly, had NO bearing on my enjoyment during those couple of hours.)

Thanks again, Cal, for letting me test cast your rods.  That Jigster is amazing!

Although I didn't catch a PB, nor did I catch many fish, this trip I shall remember.

This is refreshing, what its "all about"