Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slip n slide

Bad habits promoted in print media

14 posts in this topic

How many pics have you seen in a magazine showing guys grabbing the rod above the handle while fighting/landing a fish? Please,stop promoting that as alright !!!

Maybe you're one of those guys?Enlighten me.Why do you do that? You've cut off the most powerful part of your rod,ie,the butt section, and shifted the stress to the top of the blank where there is significantly less power as well as risking breakage.Don't even try and talk "if done carefully/properly" as there is nothing proper or right about it!

Watched a guy fighting a sizable fish last week and after a protracted battle he grabbed the blank near the first guide and,SNAP! Sorry bro,you own that one...your bad.

Used to fish a river in Canada where there were so many salmon you couldn't twitch your fly or you'd snag one and that many fish attracted no small share of anglers.We'd typically camp for a week and try and keep a running total of rods we saw or heard break.Quite a few were from high sticking while landing a fish but the majority that I witnessed were from grabbing the blank above the handle.By a wide margin, the worst offenders were fly guys. A hot fish between 20-30 lbs will sort out and punish stupid quickly.

It's called a handle for a reason; that's where your hand goes.If you need leverage,grab the butt but for gosh sake ,not the blank!

I think there's a time and place where it can be beneficial. I do it at times if I'm landing a fish solo in a boat and have done it in tight space while wading too. The key is to keep the rod angle low. High sticking and sliding your hand up the blank is bad news.

Edited by jabster

47 mins ago, jabster said:

I think there's a time and place where it can be beneficial. I do it at times if I'm landing a fish solo in a boat and have done it in tight space while wading too. The key is to keep the rod angle low. High sticking and sliding your hand up the blank is bad news.

I agree but one must be careful 

1 hour ago, jabster said:

Over 50 yrs FF'ing and I've never even been tempted or had the thought cross my mind...and I typically fish a 10' rod.

I'll swing the fish 'round front of me and grab the leader before I'd ever grab the blank.A lost fish is cheaper and doesn't stop you fishing like a broken rod.

I see a lotta folks,both boat and shore and not just FF'ers,retrieving too much line into the tip and then they can't bring the fish in close enough to land.The length of your rod is now working against you because of the short amount of line.The "solution" is often to grab the rod elsewhere but the handle.The actual solution is to always leave 1 1/2 X the length of the rod out of the tip.Any less and you won't be able to bring the fish in close enough to land him.

Next time you have to grab a fish to land it keep the 1 1/2 rule in mind and you should be able to bring it right around,certainly, w/o having to grab the blank.

I've tried it all and caught my fare share of fish. Always learning though and that is certainly a thing to keep my mind on.

Don't have to do the "blank grabbing" very often. Some times when solo on the boat or doubled, tripled up and no one to help out and no chance of tiring the fish so that I can get some slack or when I literally can't move and stuck in the bushes landing the fish. I've never broken a rod that way and know very well to be very careful with the rod angle. Not promotion that way of operation in any way, just saying there can be circumstances it can be a useful skill to have.

1 hour ago, slip n slide said:

Next time you have to grab a fish to land it keep the 1 1/2 rule in mind and you should be able to bring it right around,certainly, w/o having to grab the blank.

Thank you for the hint!

intuitively, I always do something alike as I often fish with a leader that is longer than my rod and i want to keep it outside the tip, in case of a sudden surge of the fish.  I actually never conceptualized that, when it was not going right, it was because the leader was shorter, hence not satisfaction the 1.5 rule...

Dc

Slip doubt if your message good as it is will ever reach the masses. The masses are just like lemmings.

People  are into any hobby at different levels of knowledge and commitment.

For us it’s a passion a way of life almost to others it is something they do when the hunting season is over or the wife wants them on yard duties. Or spending quality time together doing the super market shop.

It is all good and fascinating and slip at  times being  in this  sport has brought rapturous laughter. I have had more then a few belly achers when either shooting the crap with you or out on the beach. Never forget the night we were both hooked up in what was once the Tub. We both lost our fish at  the same time , mine my only one of the night and for some inexplicable reason we both laughed out loud. No cursing at all .

The time I found you lying in the dune side grass in the crusifix position staring blankly at the sky. Upon my enquiry your reply was. I have just been bitched. 30 lb wire gone in a trice  It happened again I seem to recall over those couple of magical squid bite tides. Happy times.

People ask us why we fish.

Mike.

Edited by Mike Oliver

54 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Slip doubt if your message good as it is will ever reach the masses. The masses are just like lemmings.

People  are into any hobby at different levels of knowledge and commitment.

For us it’s a passion a way of life almost to others it is something they do when the hunting season is over or the wife wants them on yard duties. Or spending quality time together doing the super market shop.

It is all good and fascinating and slip at  times being  in this  sport has brought rapturous laughter. I have had more then a few belly achers when either shooting the crap with you or out on the beach. Never forget the night we were both hooked up in what was once the Tub. We both lost our fish at  the same time , mine my only one of the night and for some inexplicable reason we both laughed out loud. No cursing at all .

The time I found you lying in the dune side grass in the crusifix position staring blankly at the sky. Upon my enquiry your reply was. I have just been bitched. 30 lb wire gone in a trice  It happened again I seem to recall over those couple of magical squid bite tides. Happy times.

People ask us why we fish.

Mike.

They may ask but I doubt we could ever explain in terms they'd understand.

Actually considering some more southward destinations for bigger fish as our traditional haunts are a shadow of what they used to be...

On 7/14/2018 at 6:26 AM, jabster said:

I agree, and do it regularly when fishing in the boat solo. It's not high-sticking, it's just a quick move...momentarily lifting rod high in one hand when landing a fish so I can grab the leader. I'm talking rod high for 1-2 seconds.  If a fish takes off, there's enough time to react and lower the rod because I'm ready for it. I've broken a couple rods in doors, or while fishing, but never while fighting or landing a fish. What I avoid the most, with any type gear, is to let a leader get inside the guides, lest a connection get hung up and break it that way.

I've never grabbed a blank though.

Edited by patchyfog