KnewBee

Presidential poll

26 posts in this topic

Disclaimer:   polls are all fake and tell us nothing!

It isn't so much the "poll" as the commentary that accompanies the poll.   One question:  How long will Obama serve as the Republican Bogeyman?

"Poll: Barack Obama Was the Greatest President of Our Lifetime"   Pew Research, article in New York Magazine. Jul 11 2018

"...The question this raises is, why haven’t Democrats capitalized on their success? Why have three decades of failed Republican presidencies and successful Democratic ones not left a deeper impression on the public?

The split is especially stark when you break it down by age. For voters under the age of 38, Obama is the runaway choice as best president of their lifetime. As many of these voters name him as pick the next five presidents combined:

"....Carter was a Republican bogeyman in 1988, and when Bill Clinton came along. Republicans were still using Carter as the model for everything the Democrats stood for when Obama left office, 36 years after Carter left.

This is an intuitive way to appeal to low-information voters, who may not have a lot of information about where candidates stand on every issue but do have a sense of whether things went well or poorly under different administrations. The basis for this winning Republican rhetorical gambit has disintegrated. But why haven’t Democrats reproduced it? After Reagan, around whom Republicans built a cult of personality that endures to this day, we had:

– a one-term Republican administration that left office during a recession and a nasty internal fight over “no new taxes” dogma meeting a deficit crisis;
– a two-term Democratic presidency that ended with 60 percent approval ratings;
– a failed two-term Republican presidency that ended in both foreign and domestic catastrophe and approval ratings in the low 30s;
– a two-term Democratic president who left office with 60 percent approval ratings.

That is a 28-year-long pattern, more than twice as long as the Carter-Reagan period that looms so large in the public mind. What I’m proposing here is a mystery without much of an answer. Why haven’t Democrats made more use of this?"

11-presidents_nocrop_w710_h2147483647.jpg

As long as it takes for him to act like he is no longer the President and do post presidential things that mirror those who came before him. 

Obama was great.  He left the dems in ashes.  A complete state of ruin.  Not an easy task with the shifting demographics of this nation.  It’s his legacy and greatest accomplishment.

Thank you Barry

Obama is sort of like the nephew that comes to stay with you for a week.

While he is there, things seem okay.

After he leaves, you notice personal items are missing.....

He did a good job of keeping the media in the dark while he was in office.

11 mins ago, J said:

BTW Millennials are political idiots for the most part. 

We could say that about all the generations that will eventually replace us.  Fact of the matter is, they are the future and based on shifting demographics (see MA primary challenge below), it will be difficult for me to observe as I age.   Maybe one of those "get off my lawn" guys?

I suspect the GOP strategy of Obama Bogeyman won't last very long. 

"The upset primary victory in New York of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez over one of the most powerful Democrats in Congress is raising the question of whether Ayanna Pressley can do the same thing in Boston.

Pressley is challenging longtime Democratic U.S. Rep. Michael Capuano.

Both challengers are women of color. Ocasio-Cortez is Latina. Pressley is African-American.

Both are pledging to eliminate U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the agency in charge of deporting people in the country unlawfully.

Both happen to be graduates of Boston University.

Pressley said on Radio Boston Wednesday that she's inspired by Ocasio-Cortez.

"She has been fearless and fierce in her convictions, and she has challenged and disrupted every conventional narrative about who has a right to run and who can win," said Pressley."

16 mins ago, J said:

What is your take on the Boomer results in that poll?

1 hour ago, J said:

They area Product of our unbiased Educational System

1 hour ago, jkrock said:

Obama was great.  He left the dems in ashes.  A complete state of ruin.  Not an easy task with the shifting demographics of this nation.  It’s his legacy and greatest accomplishment.

Thank you Barry

This and no one I know looked at Barry as "the bogeyman,"  disagreeing with someone's policies is just that, disagreeing, no more no less.  But of course nothing is this simple to a leftist, gotta make this into an identity politics matter.

I want Barry to stump for the Dem's this Fall; as always, stay the course leftists, stay the course! - 

The DNC is a bunch of idiots. The GOP is far better at getting people scared & to the polls. Dems should be scared. It could take 20 years of success to reverse the degradation of America started by Trump

It only took Trump 16 months to erase Obama’s legacy.  I’m glad to see you think it’s going to take at least 20 years of dem rule to **** us as badly as 8 years of Obama did

gives me hope

Edited by jkrock

I also don't know anyone that was "scared!"  

Not liking how far left they (myself included) felt the country was/had being taken, yes.  After decades of more and more liberal policies all over the place, as well as the left's final push with Barry to keep us very left (fundamentally change America).  The Silent (no more) Majority has had enough, it's really that simple; we don't hate this country as constituted, even with all our faults.  We don't think the country needs to be "fundamentally changed," again it's that simple.  You pushed and pushed, now you're (maybe) realizing you pushed one to many times.