Maine Yak

How long dp sand worms last in the fridge?

10 posts in this topic

My daughter picked me up some worms today thinking I was going fishing in the morning. Turns out I cant go for a day or 2. How long can I expect the sand worms to stay alive in the fridge? Aassuming my wife doesn't toss them out on me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Maine Yak said:

My daughter picked me up some worms today thinking I was going fishing in the morning. Turns out I cant go for a day or 2. How long can I expect the sand worms to stay alive in the fridge? Aassuming my wife doesn't toss them out on me!

they will stay for a good while.

even better if you wet the newspaper with saltwater from a river or the beach.

doing so keeps them hard and strong.

when I used to fish them I would have them stay for a week but,I kept some saltwater in a container to spray on the newpaper.

the water is the part that keeps them frisky.

when I would buy a flat of them they came in that grass stuff,sprayed that till wet and then the paper on top.

HH

Edited by Roddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I work at a bait shop and we keep worms for a week or so in the fridge. We buy the in flats ( ten dozen) and it is imperative to keep them dry by changing the newspaper which lines the bottom of each flat. We change this paper daily. We don't spray them with anything as the worms are packed in damp sea weed which provides them with a comfortable place to live for a while. Keeping them dry on the bottom is most important though as is their continual refrigeration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I work at a bait shop and we keep worms for a week or so in the fridge. We buy the in flats ( ten dozen) and it is imperative to keep them dry by changing the newspaper which lines the bottom of each flat. We change this paper daily. We don't spray them with anything as the worms are packed in damp sea weed which provides them with a comfortable place to live for a while. Keeping them dry on the bottom is most important though as is their continual refrigeration.

I worked for a while in a shop when I was younger and that is how they were cared for. Dry and happy change the paper daily. Worms kept about a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I work at a bait shop and we keep worms for a week or so in the fridge. We buy the in flats ( ten dozen) and it is imperative to keep them dry by changing the newspaper which lines the bottom of each flat. We change this paper daily. We don't spray them with anything as the worms are packed in damp sea weed which provides them with a comfortable place to live for a while. Keeping them dry on the bottom is most important though as is their continual refrigeration.

Hmmm,that is so much diff from how my local B&T does it.

they always keep them damp since the newspaper would dry them out which is why they spray them with a mist of saltwater every other day or as needed.

more than one way to skin a cat.

HH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roddy said:

Hmmm,that is so much diff from how my local B&T does it.

they always keep them damp since the newspaper would dry them out which is why they spray them with a mist of saltwater every other day or as needed.

more than one way to skin a cat.

HH.

I guess? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I worked in a tackle shop for ten years,and did just as Steve said to do.the other important thing is temperature,which I think was around 38 degrees I might be off on that.we had a frig that was for worms only.as a consumer the other thing that plays a role is how long have they been in the shop.i just thru out some worms that I had for 2 weeks,and most were still good...Dick{RIP} from Maco,s always said to keep them dry,change the news paper every day since he sold worms to most of the shops on the Cape I would go by what he said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.