Bfishes333

375 - 425 grain Tropical intermediate 9wt? 11?

24 posts in this topic

None that I can think of.  The shorter the intermediate head the easier it is for recast pick up.  My striper preference is OBS...15 foot clear head.

I'll second Esa's recommendation. The Airflo Striper intermediate line is a lovely line in all but the hottest of conditions (say air at 40˚C and water around 28˚C). It's my favourite intermediate line and I expect the 10wt line would suit the rod you've got very well.

Cheers,

Graeme

I would personally lean to a short head line on your short stix. I do most of my sw fishing with lines that have a 35-45' head, but the exception is if I use a short rod. Just my preference, but find longer tapers too much work for short rods.

Royal Wolff's Bermuda is a good line. I personally don't like the taper on the obs, so would go to a Wolff or a SA Sonar clear. Titans would be good to, but only available as a intermediate tip line in the warm water version and the full intermediate is a very  limp line to use in the heat.

Thanks guys at 380g that titan fits what I am looking for as well as the rio outbound short. The striper intermediate 10 wt reccomendation from Graeme and Esa I will also look into. Thanks for the info guys, now I have a solid base of some different lines to compare.  

I have both the Titan and the Outbound Short...I prefer the Titan...my only complaint is that the SA intermediate lines have a slower sink rate (listed as 1.25" but it seems slower).  The Rio Coastal Quickshooter XP WF9 is 375 grains, 32 foot head I think.  I have one, it does tangle more than some of my other lines, but casts nicely.

11 hours ago, PSUFly said:

I have both the Titan and the Outbound Short...I prefer the Titan...my only complaint is that the SA intermediate lines have a slower sink rate (listed as 1.25" but it seems slower).  The Rio Coastal Quickshooter XP WF9 is 375 grains, 32 foot head I think.  I have one, it does tangle more than some of my other lines, but casts nicely.

They do sink a bit slower then other intermediates. I actually think that they are more true to their sink rate and other intermediates seem to sink more then the 1.25", but got no factual evidence of this. The full intermediate Titan however is so limb that it would be a nightmare to use in hot conditions. Rio's Quickshooter XP has a much nicer taper then the OBS in my opinion and could be usable in at least semi-hot conditions as its a monocore line. That could be a good all round choice for a short head line. I've used mine from 50-70degrees and when stretched it's a line that I really like.

On 12/07/2018 at 4:20 PM, Bfishes333 said:

Thanks for info. I wll look into that option. What weight is the line your using? I'm not sure what you mean? I am not trying to overline anything. It is rated I believe 375-425 grams 9/10. I am trying to find a tropical line that meets those specs. 

Is there some sort of criteria a rod and line  has to meet to be considered a certain weight? Or is based upon the line/ rod makers opinion of what to classify that rod as in terms of wt? Might a G.loomis shortstix 9-10 be another rod makers 11/12 and the other way around or is there an industry standard? 

Your last sentence sums it up. Yes. Rod ratings are very subjective. Once you have walked around the block a few times it’s possible to pick up a rod wave it around and get a good feel for which line to team it with. Assuming you can get decent line data.

Until then you are at the mercy of the fly shop or net.

mike

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:09 AM, jabster said:

They do sink a bit slower then other intermediates. I actually think that they are more true to their sink rate and other intermediates seem to sink more then the 1.25", but got no factual evidence of this. The full intermediate Titan however is so limb that it would be a nightmare to use in hot conditions. Rio's Quickshooter XP has a much nicer taper then the OBS in my opinion and could be usable in at least semi-hot conditions as its a monocore line. That could be a good all round choice for a short head line. I've used mine from 50-70degrees and when stretched it's a line that I really like.

Yeah my other intermediates are 1.5-2" per second, but they seem to sink a lot faster...I've fished the gulf coast of Florida quite a bit, but never in the summer, so I can't comment on how the lines behave in tropical water temps.  I think you're right that the Titan wouldn't do well in that heat, it's listed as a line for temperate climates. 

Bfishes, you could also look into the Airflo tropical sniper.  Similar taper to the Outbound Short I think.  There are some on eBay for cheap if you feel like getting them shipped from the UK. I've ordered a few Airflo lines from dealers overseas, I think shipping was around $ 15 or $ 20, but if the lines are cheap enough it could work out.

Edited by PSUFly