Bfishes333

375 - 425 grain Tropical intermediate 9wt? 11?

24 posts in this topic

I am looking for a line in the 375-425 grain wt tropical saltwater. I had a line picked but the rod I'm putting this reel on has changed. It is going on a G.Loomis short stix 9/10. I am leaning towards Wulff SwtbI. When I called he said the 11 wt. line was in this grain range. I am considering this but would like to hear some other options before I place my order. Especially if anyone is fishing or fishes Florida Gulf coast. Saltwater/ Tropical /Intermediate / 375-425 grains. Thank you in advance. 

I fish a Rio Tarpon Quickshooter on my Sage Xi3 1090-4 - known to be a stiff rod, so to speak.  Baby tarpon, snook, bull reds.  It's got a short, WF heavy head - 375g.  Their regular tarpon 10wt line is 315g or something.

All of this is to say that instead of buying an extra-fast rod and overlining it, you may consider going to a softer action rod.

Posted (edited)

48 mins ago, JCH said:

I fish a Rio Tarpon Quickshooter on my Sage Xi3 1090-4 - known to be a stiff rod, so to speak.  Baby tarpon, snook, bull reds.  It's got a short, WF heavy head - 375g.  Their regular tarpon 10wt line is 315g or something.

All of this is to say that instead of buying an extra-fast rod and overlining it, you may consider going to a softer action rod.

Thanks for info. I wll look into that option. What weight is the line your using? I'm not sure what you mean? I am not trying to overline anything. It is rated I believe 375-425 grams 9/10. I am trying to find a tropical line that meets those specs. 

Is there some sort of criteria a rod and line  has to meet to be considered a certain weight? Or is based upon the line/ rod makers opinion of what to classify that rod as in terms of wt? Might a G.loomis shortstix 9-10 be another rod makers 11/12 and the other way around or is there an industry standard? 

Edited by Bfishes333

4 mins ago, Bfishes333 said:

What weight is the line your using? I'm not sure what you mean? I am not trying to overline anything.

That line is a 10wt.  I guess that's my point; a 10 weight rod should be rated for line that tops out around 300 grains.  While nobody pays too much attention to the chart anymore, I would argue that putting a 425 grain on a 10wt is overlining it.

Let me make clear - there's nothing wrong with doing that.  I do it myself on that very rod (I fish a 450g full sink on that 10wt).  Bends deep into the butt and shoots like a rocket.  But it's not very subtle, which is why I go a little lighter for the flats.

35 mins ago, JCH said:

That line is a 10wt.  I guess that's my point; a 10 weight rod should be rated for line that tops out around 300 grains.  While nobody pays too much attention to the chart anymore, I would argue that putting a 425 grain on a 10wt is overlining it.

Let me make clear - there's nothing wrong with doing that.  I do it myself on that very rod (I fish a 450g full sink on that 10wt).  Bends deep into the butt and shoots like a rocket.  But it's not very subtle, which is why I go a little lighter for the flats.

I understand. Thanks for the follow up. So you like the Rio Tarpon Quickshooter in a 10wt. That does fall into the grain rating but it says it is a floating line. At the moment I am searching for an intermediate line. 

Got it, check out Rio's Directcore Flats Pro Stealth Tip.  I use 12wt for adult tarpon.  You can find the grain weight you want.

It's pricey, but it casts great and has fooled enough tarpon for me that I won't change.

1 hour ago, JCH said:

Got it, check out Rio's Directcore Flats Pro Stealth Tip.  I use 12wt for adult tarpon.  You can find the grain weight you want.

It's pricey, but it casts great and has fooled enough tarpon for me that I won't change.

Checked it out, the 11wt is falling in at 380 grams. I will keep it in mind but as you mentioned that is a little pricey. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, bobbrown said:

Rio outbound short....10#....425 gr.

Thanks bobbrown. I checked this out and I only find in Sink tip, with either 10 feet or 30 feet.  I am looking for an intermediate line. 

37 mins ago, JCFly said:

OBS intermediate short....10 wt....blue/clear white running line.

Thanks, will this be ok in warmer/tropical water? 

Would think the rio OBS tropical with 30 foot head might suit your needs.

easier recast than full intermediate..

When OBS gets heavy it becomes challenging to fish without causing disturbance to where it lands because its front taper in only about five feet and has a bullet shape. Tying longer tapered leader which butt is thick improves casting and presentation but thick Nylon mono is stiff and should made soft boiling it is water which has some vinegar.

Wulff triangle taper is better!

I have cast Airflo Cold Saltwater Intermediate line in Tropic and it has been fine because its polyurethane goating stay quite hard. It has good behaving overall profile. About 40ft head which has 8ft front and rear tapers. My WF10 Int. weights about 400gr All lines get hot when sun heats a black reel but water is never too hot for line when wade fishing. Fishing on a boat the line can get hot but I haven't done it enough to say how for example AF CSW feels to cast.

Esa

1 hour ago, bobbrown said:

Would think the rio OBS tropical with 30 foot head might suit your needs.

easier recast than full intermediate..

Thanks Bob. With a 30ft intermediate head that seems luke a sufficient amount of line to be below surface. When fishing intermediate line what is the benefit of having the whole line sub surface if any? 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, crunch said:

When OBS gets heavy it becomes challenging to fish without causing disturbance to where it lands because its front taper in only about five feet and has a bullet shape. Tying longer tapered leader which butt is thick improves casting and presentation but thick Nylon mono is stiff and should made soft boiling it is water which has some vinegar.

Wulff triangle taper is better!

I have cast Airflo Cold Saltwater Intermediate line in Tropic and it has been fine because its polyurethane goating stay quite hard. It has good behaving overall profile. About 40ft head which has 8ft front and rear tapers. My WF10 Int. weights about 400gr All lines get hot when sun heats a black reel but water is never too hot for line when wade fishing. Fishing on a boat the line can get hot but I haven't done it enough to say how for example AF CSW feels to cast.

Esa

Thanks for the info Crunch and the tip about boiling the mono in vinegar water. Up to this point I really am considering the Royal Wulff. I was told the Intermediate line is thinner in diameter and fitting the 375 -425 grain, which I was told would be the 11w would fit fine. I am not sure if I get the floating line with the sink tip if this will still fit on my reel if the floating line is thicker.

Edited by Bfishes333