jjdbike

Spiral/Acid wrap guides: pros & cons?

31 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I first noticed spiral wrap guides while tog fishing w/ some hard core devotes w/ custom gear a while back. 

They looked like a novelty. 

Over the years I’ve seen a few more here & there. All custom.

The only pro I’ve read or heard about them is apparently they eliminate, or at least minimize the back & forth wobbeling when reeling in a fish???

To me they look strange, not that looks matter much to me. 

I imagine they would shave a little distance off the aready limited underhand toss on a party boat. I have no proof or eveidance of this, just an assumption. 

If it is an advantagous design for casting, jigging and or fighting fish more efficiently then I am very interested in moving in that direction w/ my next rod purchase (most likley a Black Hole Charter Special 7’3”).

Can those who know please share our knowledge & experince w/ spiral wrap guides as compared to traditional?

Thanks in advance!

JD

Cons: none

pros: many...... chiefly you eliminate the blank and your wrists always resisting twist created by guides on top conv layout, when under load the line is trying to get to the bottom of the blank and you are allowing physics to do its thing.  There is a lot of lively conversation on SOL going back a decade if you search 

All my conv rods are spiral from baitcast, inshore, deep drop and my heavier. I’ve never used roller guides so can’t comment there.

16 mins ago, marty_mccarty said:

pros: many...... chiefly you eliminate the blank and your wrists always resisting twist created by guides on top conv layout, when under load the line is trying to get to the bottom of the blank and you are allowing physics to do its thing.  There is a lot of lively conversation on SOL going back a decade if you search 

Thanks,

is there any casting distance loss while underhand tossing from a big party boat?

Meanwhile, I’ll do a search here on SOL site.

Thanks again!

JD

1 hour ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks,

is there any casting distance loss while underhand tossing from a big party boat?

Meanwhile, I’ll do a search here on SOL site.

Thanks again!

JD

Very slim to none, especially in that application where you are using weight. There are different transitions available that are more suited for casting and minimizing friction on the turn, but basically isn't enough lost to ever worry about unless you competition distance casting. Fighting benefits are tremendous imo so would only do spiral on everything personally 

Thanks Denny.

So far, I’ve yet to read, see or hear any downside, though they may exist. I’m surprised that I do not see more rods spiral wrapped.

I’m sold & my next (current) rod purchase is certainly spiral wrapped.

JD

you wont wrap around the tip as much with acip wrap. and its a much more sensitive feel even on a stiff blank. Potentially could allow you to beef up a blank while staying sensitive for a tough bite.

Be careful putting in and taking out of a car. I always forget the guides wrap around and Ill accidently hook them on things when loading or unloading

2 hours ago, marty_mccarty said:

The only con is that you look like a bit of a weirdo. That doesn't matter to me, and it looks like it doesn't matter to you, but it matters to WAY more anglers than you'd think. Fishermen, it turns out, are a pretty conformist bunch, and don't like being looked at as the village oddball by using a spiral rod.

I just bought a new rod for fluke/seabass, an inexpensive off the shelf rod and it is spiral wrapped. Though I wasn't necessarily looking for that, I figured why not. I  like it, don't see a downside at all.

Another little benefit is how the rod will sit in the boat rodholder or spike with the reel up  instead of hanging upside down. This is nice to quickly set the hook without fumbling sometimes

1 hour ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks Denny.

So far, I’ve yet to read, see or hear any downside, though they may exist. I’m surprised that I do not see more rods spiral wrapped.

I’m sold & my next (current) rod purchase is certainly spiral wrapped.

JD

I'm very surprised myself you don't see more factory spiral rods. Figured someone would take the leap in a relatively open market for it but old school tradition and uneducation by the consumer keeps any big from doing so evidently. Is no secret in the rod building industry but hasn't caught on to the masses yet when it should of a while ago

For bottom fishing I've noticed no loss in distance casting but that's generally with 2oz or more. A few weeks ago we came across a school of blues. Only thing I had in the box was a small unweighted swimmer. Was probably less than half an oz. It did tangle a few times but that was with underhanded tosses and the distance was pretty bad. Could have been cause of the weight, could have been because of the spiral wrap.

I spent an evening at the Cape Cod Canal using my friend Raptite's rod, while he used mine. On our way out I noticed that the rod was acid wrapped. Before that I had no idea. Works great, looks a little funky. If I could go on boats without being a chum factory, all of my boat rods would be spiral/acid wrapped.

This is year 5 I have built on spiral and roberts wrap. I have no cons..i can wrap using lighter and smaller guides, bigger bass on light tackle is awesome for kayak fishing jiggin’.  Another bonus, I havent blown up a rod yet.  I will even use single foot guides or micro guides after the transition. 

Picked up a spiral wrapped jigging world nexus for fairly short money at the RISAA show over the winter. Light weight, strong, and sensitive. Haven't used it much as I tend to use lighter weight gear for fluke, but the few times I have used it I liked it. I plan on using it more when I need heavier weight or when targeting stripers/blues.

Is there any validity to the direction of spiral

"It should be opposite" of your reel handle ?