NattyBoh74

Just bought a Kayak, looking for a casting and spinning setup

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Bought a Hobie, and now looking to get one each of a casting and spinning setup. Located in the rivers of MD.

I won't be in super deep waters and I'll be trolling with the casting setup using jigs. The spinning setup I'm thinking of throwing poppers or something when I see baitfish going crazy. 

So looking for rod and reel suggestions... I'd prefer a cheaper rod, and spend more on the reel. I don't want to go crazy, and honestly don't even know where to start price wise...thanks!

Edited: I have a 7' MH dobyns fury caster rod sitting brand new, not sure if that would work. It's a 704 model.

But honestly I'm thinking about getting an ugly stix, cheap and they seem to work well

Edited by NattyBoh74

Posted (edited)

I have a 7’ MH St. Croix Premier .5oz-1.5oz with a 3000 sized Tsunami Shield. I picked up the rod at a local (NJ) show for $100. The reel is also $100. Nice setup for casting plugs with good back bone. Plus the real is “sealed” so it’s fairly good for the kayak.

Ive also had pretty good experience with Tica spinning rods. I believe they are like $69 or so.  Only issue I had is I had to cut the butt sections so it was more kayak user friendly. I’m assuming it’s for bass and blues correct?

Edited by Pma531

Love me Daiwa Coastal TWS and Saltist 1oz 7.6”. Also have another Coastal on a Daiwa Proteus 7’ 1-5oz for the heavier stuff. The 1oz rod was what I caught this 4’ Brown on. 

81A7CC3B-241A-4C62-BF31-521DDBCA12C1.jpeg

E1D5B6BB-6C31-444A-9148-342A66C35989.jpeg