chitala383

Cow Nose Ray

82 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, lureman said:

Quality post.  Helps contribute to the OP's topic and also makes a great case for C&R.   Nice job.  

Edited by TimS
quote edited

44 mins ago, lureman said:

yes Mitchell, you are correct....i am done....

And still can't read

That recipe calls for skate wing, that is not what a ray looks like. I was on a boat where a guy caught and cut one, the meat was blood red almost purple and a bloody nasty mess. I would give a bat between the eyes to dispatch. I also would not be keeping one after seeing what it looks like inside. lol

OP i just spent some time on google looking for anatomical image of rays.   The key for a quick death, IMO/IME is to sever the brain stem.  SMashing the head, cutting gills etc can work, but the quickest way to kill something is to find the top vertebrae where the spinal cord connects to the brain and severe it.

Full disclosure, Ive never killed a ray.  BUT, if I were looking to do it as quickly and 'humanely' as possible, I'd use a long sharp knife and cut laterally across that point (mentioned above).     I would then create a 'cross' shaped incision by cutting down between the eyes and crossing the first cut.  Any additional bleeding/gills/is gravy and superfluous.  

I cant find the pic so that you can ID the spot easily.    I'll post when I get one.  

7 hours ago, lureman said:

catch and release......

I’ve heard a lot of cheap restaurants serve ray wings disguised as Scallops. After hearing that me and a buddy tried to fry one up, friggen delicious. As far as the C&R thing goes, I’m a big C&R guy too, if the species calls for it. The recent Cow Nose invasion has destroyed a lot of ecosystems, and there is no shortage of them. If they tasted like striper or bluefish I probably wouldn’t keep them either, but I’m not turning down a steak that tastes like scallops.

Consumption Concerns:  Shigella may be acquired from eating cownose ray meat that has been contaminated with this bacteria. This bacteria causes shigellosis that results in dysentery, which include the symptoms of diarrhea, pain, fever, and possible dehydration.  

Posted (edited)

Edited by TimS
If you want to start giving people posting advice on this site figure out how to do so in a respectful manner - thanks

3 mins ago, skinnywater said:

Consumption Concerns:  Shigella may be acquired from eating cownose ray meat that has been contaminated with this bacteria. This bacteria causes shigellosis that results in dysentery, which include the symptoms of diarrhea, pain, fever, and possible dehydration.  

Yeah and trichinosis is a concern for eating pork, but I still love my bacon

13 mins ago, skinnywater said:

they claim that's a concern in the parana river which is located in argentina.. :dismay: 

33 mins ago, HighEndHooker said:

I’ve heard a lot of cheap restaurants serve ray wings disguised as Scallops. After hearing that me and a buddy tried to fry one up, friggen delicious. As far as the C&R thing goes, I’m a big C&R guy too, if the species calls for it. The recent Cow Nose invasion has destroyed a lot of ecosystems, and there is no shortage of them. If they tasted like striper or bluefish I probably wouldn’t keep them either, but I’m not turning down a steak that tastes like scallops.

That is an urban myth. Never has anyone ever made "scallops" out of skates or rays.

Thanks for the help thus far guys. I like the idea of severing the brain stem, I'll have to look into that more. Whenever I do keep fish, which is rare, I always cut the gills so they bleed out quickly.

Posted (edited)

Edited by TimS
Seriously, please keep your posts on topic - if you don’t have something on topic to contribute then just shuffle along - thanks

Guy shouldn't eat it if he wants to? 

I guess a nice farmed tilapia would be ok?

Please let us know.

Wow. Not sure where all the C&R crusader came from over sudden. He's not poaching, he's not keeping over limit or being wasteful. Simple question on how to dispatch a ray quickly.  Yes I kill sea robins, porgies, seabass, fluke... I like my look in the mirror, how about you?

I’m all for LEGAL catch and kill for consumption, but cow nosed ray? 

Ewww.....I can’t get passed the sight of them as I reel one up on the beach. lol I just wanna safely release them and move on.

Honestly, I probably would have no problem sitting down in a restaurant and having some cownose for dinner. the pic above looks appetizing. It’s just that Iwould prefer to see the finished product rather than kill and fillet one. Jeez, the cownose rays I pulled out of the surf seemed gigantic.. I ain’t lugging that effin thing home. lol