chitala383

Cow Nose Ray

82 posts in this topic

With the abundance of cow nose rays in our waters during the summer the thought had crossed my mind about keeping one. I did some reading and watching on YouTube about them and they seem to have a decent rep. Most seem to compare them to tuna. Does anyone here have any experience with preparing them? If I were to keep one what is the best method to dispatch them quickly? Most of the videos I've watched just show people chopping the wings off of one while still alive. I'd rather kill it quickly instead of it suffer.

Cut your line and save your gear lol.

I actually caught one several years back that did NOT run.  It just kinda of buried itself and a tug o war ensued.  I almost cut my line thinking I was snagged before it slowly started to come towards me.  So I continued shocked as hell that it was a cow nose and it didn't run. 

Killed a Southern Ray last year .. three of us ate it lighty fried. Damn it was Good!

i will be killing a cownose when I catch one about 18-24 inches across.

As far as dispatching it... it's up to you. Knife through the head or club it. 

IMG_0337.JPG

12 hours ago, chitala383 said:

With the abundance of cow nose rays in our waters during the summer the thought had crossed my mind about keeping one. I did some reading and watching on YouTube about them and they seem to have a decent rep. Most seem to compare them to tuna. Does anyone here have any experience with preparing them? If I were to keep one what is the best method to dispatch them quickly? Most of the videos I've watched just show people chopping the wings off of one while still alive. I'd rather kill it quickly instead of it suffer.

gaff to the head

I'm planning on keeping one if I can hook up this year.

Watched a Jacques Pépin  show where he cooks one and repeatedly mentions how much he and his wife love them. I'm sure you could find it on line. I am curious.

55 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

gaff to the head

I'm planning on keeping one if I can hook up this year.

They back bays of sea isle, Avalon and oc is filthy with them....the beach front as well.

Posted (edited)

Edited by TimS
You’ve been here long enough to know that kind of language will result in your removal - consider this your warning

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, lureman said:

Don't need C&R noise when someone is obviously asking how to dispatch a fish quickly

Edited by TimS
quote edited

Posted (edited)

12 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

Don't need C&R noise when someone is obviously asking how to dispatch a fish quickly

catch and release...quickly take out hook or hooks,,, release fish.. i am a fan of C+R,,, you got ur opinions , i got mine...

Edited by lureman

1 min ago, lureman said:

catch and release...quickly take out hook or hooks,,, release fish..

I guess the idea of dispatching a fish is lost. What it means is to kill it for the purpose of consumption just like the OP stated he would like to do.

Just now, MitchellNJ said:

I guess the idea of dispatching a fish is lost. What it means is to kill it for the purpose of consumption just like the OP stated he would like to do.

yes Mitchell, you are correct....i am done....

12 mins ago, lureman said:

catch and release...quickly take out hook or hooks,,, release fish.. i am a fan of C+R,,, you got ur opinions , i got mine...

Wrong thread.