Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fall fish

Real Problem with Abel Reel

30 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Thing is these reels are sold as salt water ok. I have one to.  Cork drag had to be replaced twice. It went all lumpy. Probably because it got wet with sea water. Hard for water not to get inside through all the porting. Sand and salt did to and that knocks out the pawl and you then have no drag at all even if your cork is still sound.

We had some time ago a thread about what to put onto the surface of a cork drag. Neatsfoot oil got panned even though that is what is recommended by the maker.

I put it on my cork.

Worst reel I ever spent serious money on.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

It's definitely not a good reel for the beach. If you get sand inside, good luck trying to get it out without stripping everying and removing all the grease. I guess the drag was its selling point, but I always end up setting the drag light and palming the reel when I need more drag.

What reels have you found to be satisfactory?    

Colton Terrapin by a very long chalk.

Theses reels get carried in waist bags and are underwater for best part of a tide. They get swum with to.

Sure eventually the sand and salt and water gets inside to. But reel did not stop working whist fishing and very easy to take apart clean and re assemble.

As an added bonus they look nice and built in the USA and cost less than an Abel.

Mike

1 hour ago, chicky said:

It took a year to come back???

No.  It's been a year since I recieved it back.  

2 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Colton Terrapin by a very long chalk.

Theses reels get carried in waist bags and are underwater for best part of a tide. They get swum with to.

Sure eventually the sand and salt and water gets inside to. But reel did not stop working whist fishing and very easy to take apart clean and re assemble.

As an added bonus they look nice and built in the USA and cost less than an Abel.

Mike

Thanks.  I will definitely have to give those a look.  

Posted (edited)

I think the water that you are rinsing the reel with is staying there and emulsifying with the grease. If you want a good reel that is sealed well I would go with the Danielsson lw7ten. The one downside is that it's full frame so if you get sand stuck in between the spool and frame you have to rinse it out and sometimes you may have to remove the spool but since the spool release is so easy it's not really that big of a problem. 

imo it has one of the best drag adjustments of any reel out there as the ramp-up is very linear

Edited by bobtheflounder

On 7/11/2018 at 7:26 PM, Mike Oliver said:

Thing is these reels are sold as salt water ok. I have one to.  Cork drag had to be replaced twice. It went all lumpy. Probably because it got wet with sea water. Hard for water not to get inside through all the porting. Sand and salt did to and that knocks out the pawl and you then have no drag at all even if your cork is still sound.

We had some time ago a thread about what to put onto the surface of a cork drag. Neatsfoot oil got panned even though that is what is recommended by the maker.

I put it on my cork.

Worst reel I ever spent serious money on.

Mike

You can order them without a ported frame. I would advise anyone planning on fishing the surf, ever, to do so. I saw a big game #1 with a stuck drag plate once, a customer had bought it at an estate sale, took me 6 minutes to get it back in action. That was the only abel issue we saw at the shop in my 9 years working there (and we were an abel dealer). I fish every day Mike, in the surf, the river, wherever. I get clobbered by shore break the same as anyone else, and I don't see these problems. Neatsfoot oil sounds like a problem, I use a graphite based lube on my drags, and yamaha synthetic grease on my bearings and handles. 

IMG_20180618_174434_377.jpg

458_1527191474644.jpeg

20171206_120919.jpg

FB_IMG_1522117877824.jpg

Local66

Trust me my Super 8 gets knocked put by grains of sand practically every time I use it on a beach. Dog pops out and reel goes into free spool. Mine sits in the roof void now along with the spare spool.

Why this should happen to me and not you is one of life’s mysteries I guess.

mike

Posted (edited)

Fall Fish,

Since you are following proper  procedure , is it possible that you might have hard tap water or something else in it that might be reacting with the grease, cork or Neatsfoot ? I know it is a long shot but the only variable in the equation or is it possible that you submerge the reel in a container that might have some soap residue ?

It appears to be all reels sealed or not fail for some reason at some point, just the nature of mechanical things. The up side is unlike "smart phones" at least they don't become " non supported" and you have to buy the current model :)

Edited by PS

That's interesting. I got a super11 that's been used a lot. I hated the reel at first, but once I switched from neats footoil to a graphite lube and lubed the gears with proper grease it's been a workhorse. The only thing that has limited my use of it is the fact that the drag adjustment is not really what I like to have on my reel. The build is so robust and free of modern reel problems like bearing failures etc that it still has a certain appeal to it.

7 hours ago, PS said:

Fall Fish,

Since you are following proper  procedure , is it possible that you might have hard tap water or something else in it that might be reacting with the grease, cork or Neatsfoot ? I know it is a long shot but the only variable in the equation or is it possible that you submerge the reel in a container that might have some soap residue ?

It appears to be all reels sealed or not fail for some reason at some point, just the nature of mechanical things. The up side is unlike "smart phones" at least they don't become " non supported" and you have to buy the current model :)

The water I use to wash it is not hard.  There may be soap residue, but at one point Abel recommended rinsing the reel in soapy water.  And I wash my other reels in the same basin and haven't had any issue with them, which I would expect to if something were in the water reacting to the neat's foot oil.  

It's good that Abel continues to support them; I just wish I didn't need their support.  

17 hours ago, Local66 said:

You can order them without a ported frame. I would advise anyone planning on fishing the surf, ever, to do so. I saw a big game #1 with a stuck drag plate once, a customer had bought it at an estate sale, took me 6 minutes to get it back in action. That was the only abel issue we saw at the shop in my 9 years working there (and we were an abel dealer). I fish every day Mike, in the surf, the river, wherever. I get clobbered by shore break the same as anyone else, and I don't see these problems. Neatsfoot oil sounds like a problem, I use a graphite based lube on my drags, and yamaha synthetic grease on my bearings and handles. 

Nice fish Local66!  I am leaning towards the Neats foot oil being the culprit.  What lube are you using are your drag?

1 hour ago, Fall fish said:

Nice fish Local66!  I am leaning towards the Neats foot oil being the culprit.  What lube are you using are your drag?

It's called CRC graphite lubricant. Comes in a 10oz aerosol can (green). Don't misunderstand, I have all the respect in the world for the guys at abel, but they work for a living and have no business telling worthless bums like me how to take care of their reels. 

Also, just as a side, you guys might want to consider unported frames in the future. I literally walk through 1/2 mile of swamp to get to my favorite juvie tarpon spot, and this little dude still looks/feels like it just came out of the box. The 1/2oz of aluminum just isn't worth having an exposed hub.

FB_IMG_1531575110508.jpg