Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
captnemo58

Flesh Eating Bacteria While Crabbing

12 posts in this topic

about 20 years ago, during a canoe regatta, a woman that was going down the river got cut by a old rusty spike. Developed a infection that they did not realize at first was flesh eating bacteria. Qickly spread, involved the bone. She got to keep the leg but it was grotesquely disfigured and barely usable.

Posted (edited)

Could you imagine, live for 60 years and one day you go crabbing and you get bit and a week later they may need to amputate your arms and legs, just poke your  eyes out and take a torch to your ears while at it. No thanks for me, give me the pink juice, no need to cut anything off. Can't you refuse surgery? Just awful luck for this poor soul. God bless him. 

Edited by Highlander1

Just heard about this yesterday, it's terrible news.

So the crab bit him and that's how he got it ?

Posted (edited)

Scary as it is, these infections are incredibly rare and usually only set up in people with existing medical conditions/compromised immune systems.  The guy that got infected apparently has a compromised immune system.

People are more susceptible to necrotizing fasciitis if they have a condition or illness that weakens their immune system, as Perez does. But the bacteria usually causes infection at the site of a cut or wound regardless.

Edited by bido

I always think about these stories when i'm handling crabs. I usually have cuts on my hands while im cutting crabs up for bait, sometimes dead warm festering crabs.

I don't think he was bit by a crab. He had an open wound (cut or scratch) and the water at that place got into his system 

Maybe Sparky was on to something about hiring Ben to guide him on a crabbing trip.  

i was bit right on the finger by a  clam once.  I got clam mange was int the hospital over night

32 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

i was bit right on the finger by a  clam once.  I got clam mange was int the hospital over night

Incurable evidently.  

3 hours ago, crazybellringer said:

Was it a bearded clam?